1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks I want to know your HTPC/WiFi/Networking habits/needs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 29 Jul 2013.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hey Everyone, I'm just gauging where the lie of the land is with regards to wireless, wired connections and if people even bother with HTPCs anymore with Chromecasts and tablets these days. Thanks for your time, I hope it's fun/interesting to see everyone's responses.

> Do you prefer WiFi or wired connections to your home PC/HTPC etc
    > Do you own a .ac router? If not do you plan to upgrade to one? What's your primary upgrading factor?
    > Do any of your smartphone/tablet/notebook products with .ac built in?
    > Does a motherboard with WiFi built in sway your purchase - if so, is .ac necessary?
    ASUS BOARD OWNERS ONLY > Do you own a product with WiFi GO! (or are you aware what it is?)
    > Would you ever use a motherboard's built in WiFi as a WiFi repeater or access point?
    > Do you use 'Cloud' services? Which?
    ASUS BOARD OWNERS ONLY > Do you know what Cloud GO! is? If yes, have you tried it?
    > Do you know what ASUS Webstorage is? If yes, do you use it?
    > How 'desperate' are you for speeds above Gigabit Ethernet on a scale of 1-10 (1 being meh, 10 being OMG GIVE ME NAOWWWW)
    > Does buying Intel GigE chips still tip the balance versus Realtek in board purchases?
    > Do you or have you ever used Teaming of GigE connections?
    > What functions does your HTPC perform: server, TV recording, playback only, HDTV gaming etc

Whow thanks everyone! :rock:

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

wired
    no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    dropbox
    no
    no
    not particularly
    no
    no
    playback

3. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Used wifi go when i go to events for people to connect to my pc which is then connector to my phone for internet access. Board is the one in my sig. By the way hurry up with the new haswell board so i can upgrade

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Wired. Transfer speeds needed to/from server.
    > Do you own a .ac router? If not do you plan to upgrade to one? What's your primary upgrading factor?
    No, will one day though. Transfer speeds important.
    None
    > Does a motherboard with WiFi built in sway your purchase - if so, is .ac necessary?
    Not right now, in future probably.
    ASUS BOARD OWNERS ONLY > Do you own a product with WiFi GO! (or are you aware what it is?)
    No WiFi GO
    > Would you ever use a motherboard's built in WiFi as a WiFi repeater or access point?
    Doubt I would need to with layout of property
    Dropbox
    ASUS BOARD OWNERS ONLY > Do you know what Cloud GO! is? If yes, have you tried it?
    Yes and no
    Yes and no
    > How 'desperate' are you for speeds above Gigabit Ethernet on a scale of 1-10 (1 being meh, 10 being OMG GIVE ME NAOWWWW)
    6/7. Don't need now, in future would help
    > Does buying Intel GigE chips still tip the balance versus Realtek in board purchases?
    Preferred but not essential
    Yes, only playing around though
    > What functions does your HTPC perform: server, TV recording, playback only, HDTV gaming etc
    Playback, gaming, downloading and transferring to server

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

1) Wired
    2) Yes, RT-N66U. And i am really annoyed by the fact that changing the port forwarding pretty reboots the router.
    3) HTC One
    4) nope, WiFi in motherboard is the last thing i would decide upon.
    5) Yes, 2x P8Z77-I Deluxe.
    6) Not really a safe idea to do :), so no.
    7) If you mean the ones on ASUS routers, then no. Tried the AiCloud app too, didn't really work for me, but i don't really need the access to my server from the phone anyway.
    8) Seems like it is a Z87 only feature, so nope.
    9) No and no.
    10) 4. Would be nice, but gigabit is enough for most tasks except server backup :D.
    11) A bit.
    12) No teaming, AFAIK there is no use for it without the rest of the infrastructure supporting it.
    13) XBMC, file server, various desktop apps which needs to run 24/7 (via remote desktop), virtualization (Virtualbox & PHPVirtualbox), backups (Seafile & via file server functionality), owncloud, RSS reader, TV server (DVB-C).

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

wired

No. No plans currently. Wired is fast enough as is for the moment. I.e. I don't think my storage will keep up with faster speeds.

No

No. My experience with onboard wifi has been "broken", "broken"; didn't want or use.

No

Yes - only as access point.

No

Never heard of it.

Never heard of it.

I want them for sure. But from disk to disk the transfers on my nas hover around 70MB. This is also the speed that transfers hover around on my gigabit network. So whilst I'd have it, I don't know when I'd see the benefit.

Not really. It's nice, but they have issues as well as any other. My work laptops ethernet for instance used to drop out periodically. Took a couple of updates from intel to sort and I was only not fussed as I was also connected to wifi.

No

playback, recording (in future) and possibly fifa if it runs on it.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The Impact has 802.11ac bundled, P8Z87I Pro has 802.11n. Pro is already out, Impact is within 2 weeks.

10. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Wired only, with wifi only available to whitelisted(mac add) phones/tablets

> Do you own a .ac router? If not do you plan to upgrade to one?

No

What's your primary upgrading factor?

Stability

No

No, no

ASUS BOARD OWNERS ONLY > Do you own a product with WiFi GO!
    No
    (or are you aware what it is?) Yes

No

> Do you use 'Cloud' services? Not really (see next answer) Which? Photobucket (only to post pictures on forums)

ASUS BOARD OWNERS ONLY > Do you know what Cloud GO! is?

Yes
    If yes, have you tried it? No.

> Do you know what ASUS Webstorage is?

Yes
    If yes, do you use it? No

Yes

Yes (have)

Tv recording/playback/web.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

1. Wired
    2. No, shall upgrade one day, but full GigE routing with a wireless access point is what I want
    3. No
    4. No
    5. N/a
    6. Possibly, but linux users can already do this :)
    7. Ubuntu One and soon my own Open cloud, I want full control of data limit and full ownership of files shared.
    8. N/a
    9. Nope
    10. 7, if it were rolled into motherboards and routers at an affordable level, then yes!!
    11. Yes, better driver support for those in the world of linux
    12.No, can't run enough cable for that.
    13. Currently it's a client running XBMC, pointed at my HP microserver, Future plans are to include PVR capabilities, and a rebuild for lower power and PCI-E SSD, for near to instant pwr on. Motherboards with CEC support over IGP HDMI would be a big interest!

In truth, the perfect device for me would be the following.

Linux OS (Support for ZFS raid's), XBMC installed out the box and Samba ready to share.
    4x 3.5in bay SATA3 storage bays
    Built in 5 port GigE switch, with Wireless 802.11ac routing
    HDMI with CEC support

Such a device would let me get rid of the server, the BT home hub and a GigE Switch, and HTPC, 4 devices leeching power from the wall.

Hell even a decent NAS (I like decent transfer speeds) with 802.11ac routing and switch would work

Last edited: 29 Jul 2013
  12. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Wired
    Nope and nope - I only have 2meg internet and there are no plans to upgrade the area where I live as yet. For me, strength of signal is more important than more speed
    Nope
    Nope and nope
    No
    No
    iCloud for my phone, Amazon Cloud for music I bought from them and BT Cloud as it's part of my internet package
    Yes and no - Takes too long for me to upload to them, so I don't use them
    Yes and no
    Not really
    Nope
    Playback

13. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Impacts what i am after

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I prefer a wired connection, as it's less prone to hacking.

Don't own one, don't plan on upgrading.

Nope, only .abgn

As I'm trying not to use WiFi, no, not at all.

Sure. Only temporarily though, like for updating my iPad for example.

Never will use those damn cloud-services as my data isn't safe there.

Not interested.

The Realtek-chips do work like intended, so no.

No.

I'm using my PS3 as a HTPC and it's used for playback and gaming.

15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Do you prefer WiFi or wired connections to your home PC/HTPC etc
    Wired to my HTPC, Wireless to PC
    No and no need to upgrade until my broadband is faster than wireless G speeds.
    None
    Not at the moment, maybe in future.
    No WiFi GO
    Nope, my computer isn't 'always on'
    Google Drive
    No and no
    No and no
    2. Don't have anything that needs it
    Preferable but not essential.
    Yes, when migrating data from NAS to NAS
    Streaming video from NAS and playing Youtube on big TV.

16. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

- Wired Connections - Stability/Speed and Ping response.

No.

No

No - i would normally buy an adapter from a good brand. Have found on-board wireless to be unreliable in the past.

Not Relevant

Not Relevant

Not Relevant

Not Relevant

Not Relevant

5 - Could do with it, but i'm not willing to pay over the odds for it. Maybe in a few years time when 4k HD requires faster streaming.

Is there any difference?

Yes, works great for high bandwidth servers. Would like one on my home server.

HTPC - Playback only from server in loft.

17. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Whichever is convenient.
    No, maybe. Depends on cost.
    Not as far as I know
    No
    Don't think so.
    Unlikely.
    Google Play for music
    Nope.
    Nope.
    Not for me.
    Only in work, never at home.
    Playback, gaming.

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Wired, no, no, no, no.

AC is too dear atm.

19. matiss

matiss Minimodder

wired

no

no

no, no/no

maybe if laying cables is to much of a hassle

no, no, no

yes, no

5, in a private environment most other things block, in a buisness environment it may be needed

meanwhile it doesn't matter anymore for me in private environments, buisness wise i would still go for it if i can

yes but just for testing

got no separate htpc, multimonitoring on main system

20. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Prefer wired due to more consistent provision of bandwidth and speed of obtaining a DHCP lease.

I don't own one. Probably eventually. The standard would need to be properly ratified and mature in products and I'd only upgrade if I felt I'd make use of the extra bandwidth.

No, don't have anything that new at the moment.

No, I don't generally use WiFi on desktop machines.

No, I generally ignore proprietary motherboard features as fluff.

No, I'd use a dedicated AP or repeater due to size and potentially better signal gain.

No; poor upload bandwidth here.

No and no.

No and no.

An 8. 10Gig would be nice :)

No, I'm not really aware of the difference... I take it there is in terms of throughput?

No, I've considered it for use with NAS but was put off by the potential flaky support, expense of switch that supports teaming and the difficulty of implementation.

Playback only, NAS serves content.

Hope that's of use :)