1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cambridge researchers unveil 3D microchip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"but it's clear that work still needs to be done on bringing the technology to market. "

..which is the one part where UK innovators have been so spectacularly unsuccessful down the years.

Innovation..we're brilliant at it, second to none, making money...useless.

No doubt this will be exploited by the Americans and Asians.

3. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

So horribly accurate. Great at ideas not so good at ongoing investment and application of those ideas to make £.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*Platinum.

-Nope. I don't see it becoming commercially viable for a while.

5. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

You have any idea how litle that would affect cost? When you get down to the nanometer level...

What with how hairbrained economics are it could cost more if it were made out of copper :lol:

Too bad... at one time it would've been the US waiving both that banner and making it practical. It really saddens me how far we've let our once-glorious country slip. :sigh:

90% of americans really need a grand WAKE.UP. slap upside our ignorant, overly privelidged, whiney heads. All but the very cream of america has sank to this in just a few presidencies.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

lol platinum is what makes you think this won't be commercially viable? Platinum is rare and expensive but ruthenium is considerably more rare. I think it's cheaper due to lower demand (it's hard to find demand for something that acts similarly to platinum and is even more rare).

@siliconfanatic
    what do americans and their presidents have anything to do with the article?

7. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

one of the other posters mentioned the UK as an innovation giant. In our heyday that was the US. what i said is it merely took a few seperate presidencies(said nothing of the actual presidents) to go from that to... this *gestures at the pile of crud we have come to call america* i replied that platinum wouldn't make too much of a price difference then went on a mini-rant bout how we were so great then bam... posts being patriotic about how good the UK is in the intellectual dept reminds me of that kind of stuff.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I don't think inventions and innovations have anything to do with what country you come from. Of course there are factors such as education, funding, motivation, and lifestyle, but many of the best ideas came from people who did poorly in school, started out in their parents' basement, and/or had no respect for authority. That being said, I like it when I see a huge success come out of a smaller country. Anyways, the problem is corporations. They only want what is known to be profitable and considering the economy, people aren't willing to take risks on something that they can't prove is desirable. It's a real shame most people tend to care more about profits than making a difference.

9. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

but will it play crysis?

10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Finally... someone is getting at the important questions...

sheesh...