1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Buying a car

Discussion in 'General' started by freshsandwiches, 8 Aug 2014.

1. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Sadly my wee Renault 1.6 Megane went to the great car park in the sky yesterday.

I'm now in the market for a new car and I'm looking for some advice. Can probably drop ~£5k on it. I also have to consider my GF who has just passed her test. I probably should consider another banger to get her used to the road.

But then I want a new shiny. Dilemma!

Anyway I'm going to have a look at this C30. *Link expired* See below for pictures.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2014
  2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I follow the rule in life that cars should be cheap, something with a FSH can be had for under 1k, and serve many trusty years of motoring. So long as you purchase quality.

So far my £350 Saab, has cost me £400 in parts (Mostly brakes, and various little bits) over the 3 years I've had it.

We've just bought a Seat Leon, which smacks of poor VAG group build quality (Too many plastic engine parts imho) but it's a FSH 52 plate "Golf" that cost me a total of £1100 and its superbly clean for its age.

I say find another banger that the GF feels comfortable driving for now. Worst thing you could do is buy something you truly enjoy only for her to be nervous driving it for fear of wreaking it.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
  4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yeah, why bother enjoying anything in life. Lets all just go around on honda 50's, wearing the same colour and style clothes and have kitchen tables made of unfinished mdf in homes where everything is tiled the one colour tile, walls, floors the lot.

5. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

If you can really afford something newer, and you want it, go for it. You've got insurance should the worst happen. Just don't get too attached - I feel dirty for saying this :worried: - it is just a car, you can replace it!

As for the GF, she might not like being in a banger if it breaks down when she's on her own.

Worth bearing in mind that a newer car is also likely to be safer in a collision.

trueno! likes this.
  6. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

if buying from a dealer/garage or a private seller, I can't stress this enough, do a HPI check! Seriously do a HPI check. Just in case I wasn't clear enough do a HPI check

For the sake of a few quid will save a lot of heart ache later if the car turn out to be either stolen, a write off or it has any outstanding finance.

trueno! likes this.
  7. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Last edited: 8 Aug 2014
  8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Get a focus. Tons of them out there so pretty affordable, plus parts are readily available. Not silly expensive to run, not too bad to look at, are great fun to drive and are practical to boot.

Down sides are; there's tons of them out there so they don't stand out and might be a bit on the big side for your missus' first car (or maybe not).

9. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Something to consider:

1. Do you spent a LOT of time driving? I mean hours at a time - You're gonna want a car with fairly soft suspension if you do. Otherwise an old banger should be fine if you're not driving more than 45 minutes at a time.
    2. Do you mainly drive long distances or in town? for town driving.. get a petrol (not to mention it's cheaper) for mainly distance driving it MAY be worth considering a diesel.

Generally as a first car you want something dirt cheap that can take a few accidents at lower speeds (newer cars are generally safer but heavier and a little more thirsty from experience)

I'd personally opt for a cheap petrol engine with a toyota/nissan (with high mileage?) but well maintained.. happy to have to replace it year after year if the car itself is under £500 and just not bother with the MOT!

Totally a fan of the saabs.. wanted to get one myself but was vetoed :(

Decent price for the leon! Car just needs to get from A to B and NOT break!

Most of the accidents tend to happen fairly soon after the test so go with that in mind.

Personally looking at getting my Mrs a Yaris when she passes. They can be found for under a grand with FSH and in generally good shape.

10. freshsandwiches

I went with the Volvo C30. 1.6L petrol. Only 34000 miles on the clock. Great sample. Top end of my budget but hey!

11. freshsandwiches

12. freshsandwiches

Done :)

13. freshsandwiches

I've looked at them in the past. Never really fancied them, though your logic is sound. This was a selling point of the C30 for me, there isn't that many around.

14. freshsandwiches

I agree, but I wanted to treat myself. Would have loved a Saab, great cars (my Dad has a 93 Aero) but would be too big for GF. If it was just me...

Leon was a good shout too, but my mate has one.

The garage is also refurbishing the alloys, MOTing the car (so 1 year), full valet. They're also going to attempt to sort the minor scratches I pointed out.

I think (touch wood) I got a good deal.

15. freshsandwiches

16. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Looks nice, although I suspect you dropped a bit more than £5k on it? The C30s I saw recently for that money had double the mileage!

Good rep for safety, which I'm sure the GF will appreciate. Overall a good choice :)

Oh, and protip: there's a button next to "quote" which allows you to put multiple quotes in one post. Keeps the thread clean.

17. freshsandwiches

£5295. Honest.

18. freshsandwiches

£5295 so only a bit more. They do. I could have had a R design with 88k for a similar price. Beautiful car too, mileage too high though.

Thanks, it's reassuring that others think so, hence the thread.

I know I was spamming. I had actually typed out a longer reply to you all and lost it all with an accidental refresh. My fault for neglecting the thread, I kinda went out to celebrate! :D

19. Xir

Xir Modder

You've never had a Honda 50, eh?

Well okay, the 125's are more fun, and half the earth moves on these :D

20. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

nice buy - what year is it?