1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Lens for my 20D

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Margo Baggins, 18 Aug 2014.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Hello,

I'm just starting to get into taking pictures, and I was thinking about getting a lens that isn't the kit lens, but I'm not sure what for really.

I want to take pictures like this: (photobuckets compression has made it look worse than it does to start with) - high res is here http://imgur.com/VHPmcGm

[​IMG]

I have the 18-55 kit lens, which is fine, I don't really know if it's the right sort of lens for doing photography like this.

my camera will for the most part probably live on the tripod, I need to get some better lights etc. and I need to take loads of pictures :D

If another lens would be better, what would I be looking for?

I would most likely buy second hand, and more than likely I would buy it from mpbphotographic.co.uk

Any opinions welcome :) I know my body is prehistoric tech, but it's all new to me so I'm enjoying it! Plus I got the camera and kit lens for 100 quid, and it's sub 9k shuttercount.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Canon 50mm f1.8, readily available used, super cheap and will let you experiment with depth of field more than the kit lens.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I wholeheartedly agree. A 50mm prime with a nice wide aperture will see you just right. They are ace. I have a 50mm 1.4 and a 70mm macro for my Pentax and they are both ace!

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Nice thanks :)

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ditch the 18-55 lense and grab a 17-85mm IS USM, which is correct "kit lense" for the 20D.

I picked one up 2nd hand for my 400D few years back for about £280, its fast focusing, sharp and the telephoto range is very versatile.

I would 2nd the thought of a 50mm Prime, but personally I rarely find myself working at that range.