1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other So I'm off to Japan (suggest sight seeing)

Discussion in 'General' started by Burnout21, 27 Sep 2014.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Pretty much as the title says,

Flying into Fukuoka, and travelling Kudamatsu for 10 days starting from tomorrow morning. (Go for work, some installations and repairs to perform.)

So anywhere worth heading to? I know the GP is next weekend, but fat chance of affording a ticket!

2. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Closest big spots at the south end are Nagasaki and Hiroshima... little further north are Osaka, and the historical capital, Kyoto. Other than that, I don't know the area at all...

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Well the shinkansen can take you anywhere almost, so when time permits I want to try and make the most of it.

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The Japanese Grand Prix is next weekend, if you're an F1 fan it might be worth a watch.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

install Michel Thomas Japanese on your iphone

don't eat any fish from the pacific, fukushima has been pouring in radiation into the sea for the last 1000 days, there is a media blackout there under-pain of extreme punishment for talking about it.

http://www.keepingpaceinjapan.com/2009/10/10-things-you-definitely-should-not-do.html

http://www.goabroad.com/articles/study-abroad/top-10-things-you-need-to-know-before-visiting-japan

Edit: If its ok, can you do some pictures for the forum please? that would be super cool man.

6. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

What sort of work is taking you out there if you don't mind me asking?

7. xrain

xrain Minimodder

I can't tell if you are serious or not.
    As a pacific fisherman, and a science nerd who just happened to have purchased a gieger counter somewhat recently, I can promise you that the fish have no more radiation emissions than pretty much anything else in your home.

Saying that fukushima is polluting the pacific is really stupid. The pacific ocean has more square area than all of the land mass on the earth combined. I might not choose to eat a fish that I caught off the beach at the power plant, but anything else you are fine.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Buy all the topre keyboards that will fit in your baggage, bring them back and sell for great profit :)

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

This

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Yes. Topre resale fun.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh Dude, don't go there! I made a silly throwaway joke last time rainbowbridge posted about fallout from Fukushima and received a couple of abusive PMs for my trouble. Was just a silly comment but he took it pretty seriously. You could say he "went nuclear" but that would be in bad taste.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Crap, just realised this was posted on the 27th. Hope he's avoided the volcano, earthquakes and typhoon. :jawdrop:

13. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Uhhg, I've been dealing with people in my hometown who are greatly concerned with the potential contamination in the bay surrounding my town. Enough that they are trying to fund water quality studies. Just been driving me a bit crazy.

Perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way, I should just put in a bid to perform the water quality analysis. :D Get a few test tubes of water on a fishing trip. Set it next to a geiger counter on a data logger for a few hours. Compare to some tap water. Walk away with the $1.5k ($500 less then what they were offered).

14. adidan

Really? They do realise there's a hell of a lot of water mass between you and Japan don't they?

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I spent two weeks at Hitachi's Kasado works, in Kudamatsu City. I guess a little interweb searching can find the link as to why an English man may be there.

Now you guys f**king tell me, lol!

On a side note, I'm back!

I missed typhoon 19 "Vongfong", and 18 just bought a little rain and wind to my location whilst I was there.

I'll have a dig into the photo's and report back later. :)

16. adidan

:thumb:

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Hum, An quick Google brought up a picture of a Class 395, Given that Hitachi have contracts to build some Cross Rail and the new Great Western Mainline stock, my guess is, your checking them out???

Sam

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ooooo so close!

Class 800, I work for a supplier to Hitachi. I was there to aid installation of a module I designed.