1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dual Pane file explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Burnout21, 24 Jan 2015.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Morning guys,

Before you guys berate me, yes I've googled the hell out of this, I've even gone and tried a few of the obvious googled results, such as FreeCommander.

Problem is none of these 3rd party applications make me feel at home like old simple Windows explorer. They all seem to throw the world of icons at there apps, or a feature set that isn't really required for myself to be honest.

All I really want is a simple clean "plug-in" or "explorer mimic" that can give me a horizontal or vertical split panes.

So anybody know of any hidden corners of google, that answer this problem?

Just to note Explorer++ is almost there..

Background reason

I'm a design engineer, and after a while when a project has become established it can end up spanning a few directories, such as 3D cad files, Native 2D Files of those 3D parts, and finally our PDF and DXF Directories.

When a project goes live, it usually boils down to checking the PDF directory as to whether a 2D drawing has been exported to PDF so it can get quoted.

We currently don't run any sort of PDM, it may happen this year but we have to make do and visually check as we go. So currently one screen is home to Solidworks, and the secondary screen is home to dual explorer windows, sometimes triple or more. And before I know it, I'm swimming in a sea of Ctrl-N mazes.

I could use something like directory comparisons to build a list of "missing" files, and currently I'm using "tree /F >.txt" conversion to CSV to pull a directory listing to excel but its not a live index using this method.

I think I may have digressed...

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

No luck?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I was going to make a suggestion, but i wasn't sure what features beyond having dual panes you were looking for, or what you consider Explorer++ is missing to be almost there. :confused:

Would a tabbed file explorer work for what you need ?

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

With the proviso that I've never used it and it's the result of a quick google,

If it works well this looks like it might be useful for your broader purposes: http://winmerge.org/