1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Thin/Light laptop w/16-32GB memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mister_Tad, 11 Jun 2015.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm looking for a new laptop for work and need a minimum of 16GB of memory, and 32GB would be an added bonus, but all of the options seem to be fairly bulky.

I was hoping something like a ThinkPag Yoga or Y3 Pro or X1 could be specced up to at least 16GB but sadly they all max out at 8GB :/

In terms of the rest of the spec, I don't need anything too hefty, e.g decent spec i5/i7 with iGPU is fine. Will need a 500GB SSD or something that allows retro-fitting.

Does anyone know of any options out there that don't involve bumping up to the "mobile workstation" format?

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Dell XPS 15 seems to fit the bill.

i7-4712HQ
    16GB DDR3L
    512GB mSATA
    15.6" 4K (3840 x 2160) touch display

Got to play with one at Dell Bracknell and it's a beautiful beast. Sadly way outside my work budget *sigh*

3. danielmartind

danielmartind What's a Dremel?

how about a Dell XPS 15 (they usually have some great deals on their outlet site) or a MacBook Pro?

4. Mister_Tad

Thanks chaps, I hadn't spotted the XPS 15 could run 16GB, so the MBP was the least worst option.

I was really look for something in the region of 13" and a bit slimmer/lighter, but perhaps that's wishful thinking. Even smaller still would be better, but I know that's wishful thinking.

How practical and stable is it to run a MBP as a full time windows-only laptop, (I can't stress the stable part enough).

One thing I entirely neglected to mention that's probably pretty important is that brand plays a part in this too, for reasons I won't go into, meaning the likes of Lenovo and Apple would be a strong preference to Dell or HP all else being equal.

Does it feel robust enough to stand up to frequent flying and general business punishment, and were you able to get a feel for the noise levels?

Last edited: 11 Jun 2015
  5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Bootcamp or as a VM?

I have Bootcamp 8.1 on my MBA as work VPN access is Windows only. The drivers are stable, not had any issues at all. The track-pad driver isn't as featured as in OSX (gestures are iffy but I don't use them anyway) but apart from that everything works fine.

Seemed well built to me, certainly fine for normal roaming business use. I only used it for a day though so can't speak on longevity, also couldn't tell about noise as there was a ton of other kit in the room. But knowing Dell kit it'll be quiet until you ramp up cpu.

6. Mister_Tad

Bootcamp, assuming that running straight up windows isn't an option? No problem with integrating OSX for work, but I'm an old dog and OSX is a new trick. The piece of software driving the memory requirement would need to run in a VM on OSX as well, and whilst I'd prefer it to be a VM in windows too, if 16GB gets to be limiting windows can at least run it natively and save a few GB.

Google wasn't forthcoming on the topic - I take it the current 15" MBP is upgradeable via a PCIe M.2 SSD, instead of paying through the nose for getting it upgraded from the factory?

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Sadly you can't remove OSX and only boot Windows, bootcamp dual-boot is the only option for 'native' windows.

You can remove almost everything from OSX to give more space for windows.

I think what you're after is a niche, as you said... most power-users are looking at mobile workstations :(

All I can see that's fits the bills is the Dell XPS15, rMBP or ThinkPad T or X Series

8. Mister_Tad

There definitely does seem to be a generalisation that if you need >8GB of memory you're probably doing graphical work, and probably need every other spec maxed out as well, leading to a bit of a monster laptop :/

Is a Yoga 3 11" with 32GB of memory too much to ask for? (Clearly, yes!)

You know, I never looked at the T-series because I've got a T430 now that stays in the cupboard most of the time in favour of the little yoga because of it's size and weight - seems the latest T450 has slimmed down considerably, good shout.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Would an HP EliteBook 820 G2 work? That'll do 16Gb RAM, and is dinky and light?

10. Mister_Tad

Boom! There it is. HP's site is clearly pants as it doesn't come up when you look for laptops >8GB since it appears they won't ship it that way, but two proper SODIMM slots means 16GB max - good find.

It's just a shame it has HP logos on it and will require liberal use of stickers or the like... will have to mull over the options..

11. jinq-sea

I've got one, as it happens. It's my work notebook.

It's a cracking little piece of kit. It is, however plastered with HP logos, but in the plus column it has a backlit keyboard, the battery lasts ages, it's quiet, and it's got a proper DisplayPort socket.

12. Mister_Tad

Plastered with HP logos to the extent that it would be basically impossible to cover them all up? I assume there's a full screen logo at boot time to contend with as well?

These are interesting, opening up the possibility of a 32GB 12.5" laptop, albeit for another €700. So much want... why must it be HP!

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

As a weird middle-ground, the T450s is a slim 14" laptop that can fit 12GB (4GB fixed on board + one DIMM slot). There's also the older X2xx - X230 (Ivy Bridge) and older - series, that have dual DIMM slots, if you're not to worried about picking up something out of warranty.

14. jinq-sea

Hmmm - there's one on the lid, one on the keyboard, a full-screen startup logo, and, well, I can't remember where else. It's in my office at home and I am in my office at work haha!

I reckon that the logos are eminently coverable, though.

Interesting...

15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

16. jinq-sea

Ooh. I'll do that I think :D

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

18. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Dell Latitude 7440 or 7450?

Slightly bigger at 14", but still light and can have 16GB (dont know about 32GB).

Plus being a dell pretty easy to service and swap stuff out etc.

Outlet usually has deals on them too.

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfb1&l=en&s=dfb&brandid=3&fid=1635

Outlet links are pretty shitty but check them out.

Latitude 14 - E7450
    Latitude 14 - E7450
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-5600U (4M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)
    Windows® 8.1 Pro
    16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz Memory (2x8GB)
    512 GB Mobility Solid State Drive
    No Optical Device
    14.0 Inch Non-Touch FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare WLED LCD
    Back Up Media Not Included
    Dell Backup and Recovery Basic 1.6
    Windows® 8.1 Pro (64Bit) English
    Intel 7265AC + BT4.0 [802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band 2.4&5GHz, 2x2]
    No WWAN Card Included
    Qualcomm Gobi 4G LTE Wireless Card (Dell Wireless DW5809E)
    LCD Back Cover (Non Touch)
    Primary 4-cell 54W/HR Battery
    Internal Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
    90W 3-Pin AC Adapter
    Camera : Integrated HD Camera with Microphone
    Fingerprint Reader and Smart Card Reader (Contact and Contactless) (Dual Pointing)

855+VAT

If you wanted to go lower you can spec smaller mem and ssd and source your own. Just be careful that you get a small ssd rather than a mechanical HD as they spacers are different and then you will have to source the right ones from somewhere.

Currently Im using a 7240, i5, 250GB SSD 4GB RAM, and honestly its one of the best Dell laptops I have had in a long while. (D610->D420->D430->E4300->E4310->E6220->E6230->E7240)

19. Mister_Tad

I think I've got a pretty solid shortlist now.

My overall favourite option is the HP 820 G2, but the "HP" part could be an issue - it seems to be unique, so I could have a case for argument, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

My fallback plan from there is to settle for a T450 - MBP is sexier of course, but this should be able to rock 32GB as a consolation prize, and I'm nothing if not practical.

20. jinq-sea

Tad - why are you so reluctant to get an HP notebook?

(I know why I have been reluctant in the past - but I'm curious to hear the views of others)

EDIT: I am now united with my laptop and working at home (does it ever stop?!)

There's an HP logo on the outside of the lid, along with one in the centre of the underside of the display bezel. And the splash on bootup.