1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Gigabyte X58-UD5 two ATI HD 5450 PCIE cards do not work same time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dealove, 6 Mar 2010.

1. dealove

dealove What's a Dremel?

I have Gigabyte x58-ud5 MB with two Gigabyte ATI HD 5450 pcie cards in PCIE1 and PCIE2 slots. My problem is that when I put both of them in and boot the MB, it posts but from only PCIE1 (only monitor attached to monitor 1 comes up).

I tried several different combinations:

1. Interchange the PCIE cards (both of them are working good)
    2. Change the first display option to PCIE2 in BIOS (when I do this monitor attached to PCIE2 comes up but PCIE1 monitor doesn't come up)

I was wondering how to get the display from both the cards at the same time.

My config is:

Core i7 920
    Gigabyte X58-UD5
    2XGigabyte ATI HD 5450
    3X2GB OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK DDR3 1600MHz
    Thermaltake 850W
    Arctic Freezer Pro Rev.2 Cooler
    Antec 900 2 Case

P.S. I do not have the MB in the case yet as putting it in the case is causing some kind of short. The MB is currently on a cardboard and another case is on the way!

2. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

? whats the problem then ?

If there isnt a inital display to both option in the bios i dont think your going to get two pic from boot just when you get to the OS stage if the OS doesnt pick up two cards then theres issuses.

3. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

are you trying to run them in crossfire? or do you want to connect dual monitors?

oh, and about the MB shorting, use the brass stand-offs that came with your case.

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I think both your monitors are supposed to be connected to the card in PCIE 1 and the second acts as a slave but still giving you that extra performance in games when needed. (Don't forget your crossfire bridge either.)

The post screen won't display on both monitors either you must first install windows and the required ATI drivers then configure them within windows.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2010
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Okay, let's get a few basics out the way (just to check - the simplest things are what usually trip people up):

1) You won't be able to use a second monitor until you've actually booted into Windows (actually logged in)

2) You've activated the second monitor in Windows

3) Can you have both monitors running off one card? - This is an 'easier' set up.

Crossfire doesn't actually need a bridge to do Crossfire - the motherboard can handle it across the PCI-e slots.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What are you actually trying to achieve with the two cards? You can connect three monitors into a single HD5-series card, so why on earth would you use two cards for two screens? Putting two HD5450's in crossfire makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, so I'm hoping you aren't trying to do that...

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If you want to run crossfire over 2 monitors, then you will have to have both monitors connected to the Primary graphics card.
    Otherwise if you connect both monitors to individual cards and enable crossfire, only the primary display will be enabled and the second monitor will go to standby. therefore your second monitor will not show up in the Catalyst control panel.

As mentioned, only the primary monitor/primary graphics card will display the bios up until you have logged into windows.

Simon

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm, the OP also has a thread over at Tom's.

@ true_gamer: Epic avatar pic!

9. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

and OP bothered to reply there.

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You like? lol