1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Back into Folding - Questions!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by CraigWatson, 23 May 2013.

1. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

Hey all,
    After a fair while out of the F@H loop, I'm now back (albeit with much less of an arsenal than before). My new work desktop (i7 3770) running Linux (Mint 15) is now folding, with an estimated PPD of just under 21k - are there any flags that can I use to maximise my PPD (beta/bigadv)?

Cheers,
    Craig

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Hi - welcome back!
    Are you using the new v7 client (v7.3.6)?

3. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

Yep, installed this afternoon :)

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Beta is hit and miss, no guarantee of what sort of ppd you will get. Bigadv needs more threads that you have. Advanced is worth trying.

Also, with the new core 17, GPU folding is worth more than it used to be.

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Welcome back :)

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

at some point in the next year i be getting back into this again (if what i plan on doing works out)
    been looking between AMD 4P 6100/6200 and Intel 2600 2p setup (maybe 4600 P4 if i dare but i think price mite be Stupid but so would the PPD per setup)

i been bit out of the game a bit but from what i have been seeing AMD route needs to be 4P to beat an 2P Intel setup, but 2x 2P Intel 2600 can be 0-200k PPD higher depending on project,

but whats getting me at the moment is how much power does these types of setups use, as i am getting conflicting power uses some say 700w, 440w or even low 300w for Intel 2P

and how much to buy as well (amd systems seem cheaper but requiring p4 setups that seem to be more fuss then 2P setups are)