1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Updated* Server question, help!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Fisher., 5 May 2009.

1. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Would any of these be worth my time? If I get any of them, they're going to be strictly folding. It's either these or I'm picking up a few GX2's.

*Update*

The seller is looking for $250 for the server, one 15k 36gb drive, and a MS license. Server looks to be in good shape, but I'm not entirely comfortable with the noise level (duh) vs a case with a couple GX2's. The seller is also offering a GX2 and an E8400 for $350, but I'm pretty sure I can talk him down to $300 with little difficulty.

Suggestions?

Last edited: 8 May 2009
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

PowerEdge 1750
    5X7JF51
    L2: 1GB
    2 @ Xeon 3.0GHz
    2GB Ram
    2@ 36GB HD

Sounds like it's worth a look. If you can get it for $150, definately!

3. Fisher.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure he will go that low ;)

What sort of PPD can I expect to get out of something like that? I'm still on the fence about just building a folding rig with a few GX2's or 88/9800GT's

*edit* Looks like I can get a refurbed one for around $600

4. Unicorn

You'll have to ask someone more experienced with the SMP client about that, I only run one SMP client out of my whole setup and it's definately not a Xeon! $600 doesn't sound too bad for a dual Xeon server, although at the end of the day for the same money you might get more points per day from a fully loaded GPU2 box.

5. Fisher.

Yeah, therein lies the question. I mean, I can get 2 GX2's for under $600 without even looking very hard. Add a cheap(ish) SLI board, CPU and a case and I'm golden. Everything else I would need is already sitting around somewhere.

But at the same time, it is rackmounted...:naughty:

6. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

i fold on some older (as well as newer) xeons and can say tbh they are not that great for ppd when compared to a gpu client.

Now if you are wanting this server anyway to do server type stuff then great ( reading your post its folding only?) but i prefer cheap hp proliant ml115 servers with a quad in for £170ish so can smp fold on that plus throw in a cheap 8800gt to get maximum ppd as it has pci-x 16.
    If that will suit your needs id probabily go for that and save some money too :thumb:

7. Fisher.

*Copied from top post*

*Update*

The seller is looking for $250 for the server, one 15k 36gb drive, and a MS license. Server looks to be in good shape, but I'm not entirely comfortable with the noise level (duh) vs a case with a couple GX2's. The seller is also offering a GX2 and an E8400 for $350, but I'm pretty sure I can talk him down to $300 with little difficulty.

Suggestions?

8. Unicorn

Do you have a rack to mount it in? How many units is it? I have just ordered a small (12u) cabinet to host the first of my rackmounted GPU2 rigs until I get the 42u (I know, 42?! :eek:) cabinet ordered. I might be tempted into buying one of the smaller ones he has going to use as a fileserver/ farm "fahmon monitor" ;)

[Suggestion only]
    If you are actually concerned about the noise level I am perfectly willing to host the server and maintain/ run it for you (using your username of course) if you can get it over here for not too many $$$. My rack farm is going to be located in my workshop and nobody is going to care how loud it is, partly because it's going to be in a heavily soundproofed cabinet but also because it's my noisy workshop anyway and you won't be able to hear the farm over the rest of the noise down there.
    [/Suggestion]

Having said all that, I can't argue with an E8400 (With VT so you can VMware SMP on it) and a GX2 for $300-$350. I'm sure that the second option will get you more PPD, but it is going to cost you more and it's noisier. Up to you really!

Last edited: 9 May 2009