1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News World Of Warcraft ban in Iran

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Aug 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

This is exactly why pearl harbour happened - unfair trade sanctions.

3. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

"Due to the nature of the sanctions against the country, the company is also prevented from issuing refunds to the affected players."

well this has stopped me renewing,that's bull poop! they should do something for the people affected.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I thought Iraq and Lybia were our friends now? Blizzard not keeping up with current events? :p

I also think it is epically stupid and counterproductive. If you want to undermine a country's government, you have to undermine its culture, preferably by introducing your own. MMORPGs are one way of introducing Western cultural values to a young Iranian population.

In the same way, introducing the US Dollar and business opportunity to Cuba would wipe out Communism there in one generation.

5. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

The United States has a long history of unfair trade sanctions. We should not be surprised here.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

FTFY :D
    Although, tbh, the UK government isn't too far behind on the stupidity stakes... :(

What I don't get is that I thought that the US has had trade sanctions against Iran for a long time, so why is it just now that Blizzard are complying?

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

big brother has never done any good at any stage.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

That's the important thing here I think, it shows (to me) that Blizzard aren't sorry, since they knew about the sanctions, but waited until after they'd sold their new expansion pack or whatever to comply, and then, quite nicely for them suddenly they can't give refunds, but that's not their fault, it's the government.....

Poor show on their part.

9. thogil

thogil What's a Dremel?

A theocracy complaining about the "promotion of superstition and mythology". Oh, the irony.

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Quite. As I said once before, I cower in the face of your unimpeachable record on not believing in the supernatural, Captain Religious.

11. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Yes something fishy is going on here

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

actually iranian players can get around it by using a proxy

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

You think Blizzard wants to ban countries like this? That's a loss of income on their part. Besides, what if they did put an effort with the other countries but were denied? I'm sure they don't want to waste any more time on this.

Anyways, there could have been a worse reason for banning Iranians. It could have been solely because of something religious or political (in a "I don't trust them because they're Islamists" sense), so let's be thankful those weren't what drove this decision.

14. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Lol they flocked to the forum to scream, "vee vill not tolerate zees restliction from u feelthy amelican infidels! Geev us back our Warclaft or face ze nuclear wrath of allaahh durka durka durka durka durka !"

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I didn't know the national languages of Iran was German and French.

16. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yeah it's a new language called lacka lacka. It's a much more modern country now too, they are thinking of changing the name to iRan.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It's a humanitarian effort, we're keeping their youth free from MMOs so that they may become productive and healthy members of society. :thumb:

18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Dude that's seriously not cool. America is the worlds enemy not a peaceful but misguided nation like Iran.

19. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Isn't that cute, he almost sounds like he knows what he's talking about!

20. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I see no problem with this, in fact i would support a wholesale block of all the subnets registered to iranian ISPs (or a complete disconnection of the country entirely).

If the citizens of Iran are in agreement with all of the utter crap spouted by their president, then they obviously have no need of accessing american webservices.

Tags: Add Tags