1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Corsair GS800 Noises (audio included)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Pliqu3011, 16 Nov 2012.

1. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Won a Corsair GS800 power supply about a month ago and it arrived today. Replaced my current psu (a GS500, ha!) because its fan had a soft but noticeable rattle to it. I thought with a larger capacity psu the fan wouldn't need to spin as much (and up until now it hasn't spun at all, which is pretty nice).

After installing it and turning my system on I immediately noticed some chirping coming from the psu since my head was right next to it (I know it's certainly coming from there since I tested it using a paper tube to locate the sound :) ). The chirping is really soft and irregular, but I can't really hear it with the panels on. I'd still like to know whether or not it's a bad omen though.

Also, the sound of my harddrive seems to have changed after installing the psu and rerouting the cables, though that might be just my imagination...

Last edited: 18 Nov 2012
  2. Pliqu3011

Ok, now it's definitely making a pretty low-pitch, audible buzzing noise for irregular periods of time. Any ideas what's causing this and if this is harmful? ... I'm probably just being paranoid though...

(also, the harddrive just wasn't inserted properly anymore and touched the case or something, so that's what was causing that noise... Solved now.)

Last edited: 18 Nov 2012
  3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Little capacitor squeal! Doubt it's a bad omen. My 680i motherboard did the exact same thing from day one and that was years and years ago; still going strong today after many changes to the system. Now I got twin Delta fans that distract me from the original noise! :D

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  4. Pliqu3011

Thanks! A little reassurance was all I needed. :)

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

imo if a psu I had squealed and I could notice it it would be going back.

6. Pliqu3011

... Dammit. Now I'm unsure again.

I've managed to record a small bit (0:06) of the noise (it starts and ends really suddenly and unexpected). I've upped the volume quite a bit and there's fan noise in the background but you can clearly hear the "buzz" I'm talking about. (be careful with your volume, it's pretty loud [EDIT: Strange, when played in my browser it's pretty quiet, yet when played in winamp it's bloody loud, both with volume at max])

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/437496/PSU-Noise.wav

If anyone could tell me whether or not this is, well, a sound you can normally hear from a PSU I'd be very thankful.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Personally I wouldn't stress about it.

If it troubles you that much you could seek advice from Corsair or the retailer you bought the goods from. The question you have to ask yourself; is it worth the time and possible expense to get the unit replaced. With my Corsair AX850 for example, it randomly would not start from cold boot for a good 5 minutes. So I waited until it outright failed before processing an RMA. Mine was a worst case but I could picture sending the PSU back and then the retailer sending it straight back with 'no fault found'!