1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cooling AMD FX8150 in 2U case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nry, 16 Dec 2012.

1. nry

nry Minimodder

Planned out my new PC and didn't really think much of the cooling side as being a bit of a Intel fan boy :blush: always run Xeon/i7 CPUs with the stock coolers inside a 2U case with no issue, usually pretty quiet too!

Anyway my new PC is:
    AMD FX8150
    Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD3
    32GB DDR3 Corsair (this one which is fairly high! http://www.dabs.com/images/product/...675220A-6EF9-4D1C-A5FF-556BEB82F3BB_large.jpg)

Anyway I currently have a Alpine 64 GT Rev.2 (http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/16/alpine-64-gt-rev.2.html) which dosen't have the cooling capacity to cope with this CPU (unless you drop a 120mm fan on top, but this is only a short term fix as I can't close the case!)

I have Scythe Shuriken Rev.B (http://quietpc.co.uk/shuriken) which I tried to fit
    The clearance between the top of the fan and case is about 3-4mm
    Also it dosen't fit due to the heatpipe end being a few mm too long and pushing into my tall ram modules

I looked at Scythe Kozuti Low Profile CPU Cooler, SCKZT-1000 (http://quietpc.co.uk/shuriken-big-2) but thats even bigger so wouldn't fit with the ram,

Then this Reeven Vanxie RC-0801 (http://quietpc.co.uk/rv-vanxie) again TDP is too low on this fan so would just overheat like my current cooler

I have also read that these chips can overheat with the standard cooler (which I don't have due to buying OEM) and assuming they wouldn't fit or not have enough clearance.

I am a little stuck on this one, my only solution I can think of is somehow attaching a 120mm fan to the Arctic GT cooler I have and hope that cools it

I currently feel like this about this project! :wallbash:

Any ideas anyone on this? Someone must have had similar issues with AMD chips

Cheers

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

If it's a new build can't you return the RAM and get the low profile version instead? With mobo layouts these days it seems pretty much anything other than a tiny cooler will foul atleast the first RAM slot, if not the 2nd too.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

remove the ram heatspreaders

4. nry

nry Minimodder

The other cooler I have Scythe Shuriken Rev.B, even if I do remove the heat spreaders the clearance to the top of the case is only a few mm which use to result in my Xeon processor overheating due to lack of air flow so this cooler is no good for a 2u case

If I were to go for a SCKZT-1000 I have a feeling the cooler would hit the ram even without heatspeaders!

Should have just bought intel like I always do lol!

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Cut a hole in the top of the case and install a fan filter so your cooler can draw air from the outside?

6. nry

nry Minimodder

Theres another 2u case on top :(

EDIT: infact the whole rack is pretty full

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Xigmatek Prateon LD964?

Ive used Xigmatek stuff in the past and its been great.

8. nry

nry Minimodder

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hmm, you can't have 1 U of space inbetween them? Otherwise, watercooling?

11. nry

nry Minimodder

Looks interesting! Quick search returns no one sells them though, typical

Not really, running out of space very quickly as it is, also bit reluctant to cut holes in a case that cost me just short of £200 too!

Watercooling could be a possibility, but not sure there are any pre built units with 80mm radiators
    Don't really want to go down the separates route as that would cost me as much as selling everything and just buying a intel setup!

12. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I think watercooling would be your best bet for a 125w cpu. I am currently planning a case mod into an old xbox (64mm height) and have found a dual 92mm radiator, pump and waterblock combined and reservoir that fit. Although the reservoir is external. The waterblock is the swiftech apogee drive II if you are interested.
    Otherwise you could consider the noctua l12, just need to find a slimmer 120mm fan e.g. in depth as the cooler as it stands is 93mm including both fans. It supports 95w tdp but bit-tech just tested it on an oc'd 2600k with pretty decent temperatures

13. nry

nry Minimodder

Not too sure where I would mount a 92mm fan though, the case is only 88mm high!
    Air pulled in from the front and pushed out the back, no holes top or bottom

14. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Heatsinks that fit into 2U cases are too small. The solution is to crank up the fan. 2U servers are very loud precisely for this reason.

Also, pics of your racks? :D

15. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

You could whack in a 120mm slim Corsair all in one cooler and just tilt the entire radiator assembly? That would give you a wierd from of airflow, but should in theory work as long as you have decent venting in the case. Would also require some form of custom mount to keep it in place..