1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning For those who have built a desk case, what are your tips and afterthoughts?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thegreywizard, 20 Nov 2015.

1. thegreywizard

thegreywizard What's a Dremel?

So I'm getting ready to venture into building a computer desk case.

I will be using 3mm 5052 aluminum. I'm using this grade because it is both easily weldable and also bendable without cracking.

It will be a water cooled system, I hope I have enough clearance for everything. The total interior heights of the case will be 7"

It's going to be 60" long and 26" deep, with a roughly 7" back section for wires, power supply, monitor mounts etc.

I'd love to have it anodized, but since I'm having it welded I think the best option is to have it powder coated?

What precautions should I take into consideration when cutting holes etc since it will be powder coated? Doesn't that type of coating add a certain thickness to the overall surface area? So I would always want to cut my holes a few mm bigger/larger than the actual size so I don't run into issues where things don't fit once it gets powder coated?

Anything else you guys can think of?

2. thegreywizard

thegreywizard What's a Dremel?

Lots of views, but no tips or advice yet! lol