1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Expand JBOD in OS X Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'Software' started by AT0MAC, 8 Nov 2012.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I am currently building a server that is going to run Mountain Lion. I am practically done building but before I start installing software I want to know one thing:

Can I expand my 5TB JBOD later without loosing any data?

I don't need more space now, but if I cant add later I better buy the last disc before I complete the build.

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

You've not provided much information. How have you configured the JBOD? Using disk utility to create a concatenated desk set I assume? What hardware? (Hackintosh?) What drives? What drive controller?

Not that it really matters as I don't believe you have any 'reliable' way to add a drive to a JBOD set. You can probably hack it if you dig deep enough and work at a low level but my advice - don't go looking!

What are you using for backup? And why are you using JBOD when a striped raid set will be quicker without making your risk of data loss any greater? (Actually it couldn't get any worse as JBOD is terrible)

My advice:
    1. Don't set up a 5TB JBOD, go with RAID 5 to get protection from a drive failure.
    2. Make sure your backup is reliable, especially if you are using JBOD
    3. Test your backups ability to restore
    4. Test your RAID 5 can rebuild after a drive failure
    5. Test you can restore the OS on the server without losing your data

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Ok here we go:
    Yes
    Asrock B75M-ITX motherboard, Intel 3225 i3 CPU and more, all can be found @hackingtosh.info
    Yes
    So far the JBOD will be a Hitachi 5K3000 2TB and a 5K3000 3TB, OS is on a Plextor M3 64GB that is not part of the JBOD. Will expand with a 3rd data drive when the need is here.
    Intel B75 Express
    Crashplan+ in the cloud
    I don't think you are right there, the difference in a RAID0 and a JBOD system is that in JBOD the discs are still separate, just spreads data across the next disc when one disc is filled up. A RAID0 system shares the data across discs for higher write/read speed than what one disc could do. Also meaning that if you make RAID0 with two disc you only have half the file if the other disc fails - in JBOD you will still have all the files on the still working disc.

My answers:
    1. No can do as I only have two drives, RAID5 needs at least 3. Also, OSX ML don't support RAID5 and I have no space for a separate drive controller that does.
    2. It is reliable, off site in a totally different country.
    3. I did, and it worked.
    4. No can do as mentioned in 1.
    5. I know I can as that is on a separate drive.

...you never answered my question, I have now answered a bunch of yours :duh:

4. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Never mind, got my answer another place in the web, and yes I can wait with adding a drive until later, it will not mess any of the existing data up.

/over and out :)

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain