1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Installing OS on SSD and anything else on HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BloodlessDawn, 15 Dec 2011.

1. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

Hi, I did a really quick scan of the forum and couldn't find anything regarding this question. Also, this is my first time posting. So go easy on me ;)

I'm considering building myself a new PC. My current is fairly standard setup.
    Dual Core 3.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800GTS, 500GB HDD, 550W PSU.

It works, but it isn't exactly fast.

My queries are regarding installing Windows 7 on a SSD (would get one around 100GB) and then installing software and storing files on a separate HDD (Probably 1TB).

1) Is it worth the speed boost? SSD's are promoted everywhere as being the latest and fastest technology, but without spending a fortune can I actually get a good speed / loading time boost by installing Windows 7 on a SSD?

2) How would I handle new installations? Would I have to manually go in and select an installation folder on my HDD? Or is there a way to define the default drive for new installations.

3) Will all the software on the HDD - simply put - work? Will it bottleneck at all due to it perhaps needing to access files on the SSD? Will it simply fail because it's on a separate storage medium?

4) 64bit Windows 7 has two separate folders for 32bit and 64bit programs ("C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files(x86)"). Is this something I have to take into account when installing programs on the HDD? Or can I install all of them in the same folder.

5) I'm pretty sure I know how to link user's "My Documents" and "My Music" etc. to a separate drive. However is there a way to automatically make the whole "Users" folder default to the HDD? So that if a new user is created I don't have to go through the hassle of typing in all of the directories for each folder etc.

I'm sure there are probably another dozen things I haven't even thought of, so please give me any and all feedback (on top of answering my five questions).

Sorry if this has already been asked. I did do a quick search, but couldn't really find a thread that had comprehensive answers to questions I have.

Thanks for your time in reading, and I look forward to receiving some great replies soon!

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Why don't you just put all the software on the SSD?

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

1. Yes, and yes
    2. You can do it manually the best way. Junctions are another possibility but I don't recommend making a junction for entire \program files.
    3. Yes. No. No.
    4. Makes no difference really, only exist for organization purpose.
    5. I no longer recommend doing this. Moving \users can cause some odd problems, and if the hdd goes your install is unbootable. Better off to make use of the libraries features.

longweight likes this.
  4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

May aswell add some more RAM while you're at it as its so cheap now.

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

LOL. Have you never manually chosen program install directory?

Windows 7 boots in about 6 seconds on my Kingston Hyper X 120gb SSD. Any mechanical hdisks on your system have the potential to slow your PC down. Even if you have everything on SSD but have a regular hard disk installed it will slow down your shutdown and startup as windows accesses each drive during these times.

I would use SSD for OS and any games u want to load fast and run without stutter. For videos, photos and other data, store it on a regular hard disk.