1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cheap way to monitor server room temps remotely

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirty, 21 Jan 2013.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

One of my colleagues in IT is looking for a cheap way to monitor the ambient temps in our company's server room so that if the aircon dies and the ambient temps rise above a fixed limit he will receive an email to warn him.

There are lots of options, but do the experts at Bit have any ideas? Cheaper the better.

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

This is literally SCREAMING for an arduino :)

Arduino with a network shield and a temperature sensor and then some fancy coding.

3. Shirty

And for the IT man who isn't very good at coding?

:lol:

4. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Google it. :p I'm sure someone has already coded such a thing for the Arduino.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I AM the IT man who isn't very good at coding :D Unless it's writing a script, I can write you lots of fancy scripts to do a whole number of things.

I'm not sure, appeal to someone who is good at coding. Loads of people have arduino's and are good at coding - make them write it, or steal it from them, or steal them and get them to write it at knife point. Worlds and oysters Shirty :p

6. Shirty

I think the major issue with the Arduino route (which I can see would be by far and away the cheapest) is the warranty and technical support that IT departments seem to like on all their hardware, so that they have something to fall back on when they **** up :p

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Temp probe + cable from server room > readout wherever he is...

Unless he wants it over a network..

8. Shirty

I think it's for night time and weekends when nobody is on site. They currently have two separate aircon units keeping the room at 18 degrees so it's complete overkill of course, but the concept is for something to email him when the ambient temperature exceeds say 25 degrees, so that he can come into the office and investigate.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If its mission critical he should get someone in to do it properly. Any industrial controls company should be able to do this but obviously you'll be paying quite a bit even for something as simple as this project.

If not do a little research on an arduino. You could use a raspberry pi either and a temperature monitor. Temp goes up monitor turns on an output, pi reads it (through some small interface electronics.) Program on pi signals SMTP server on the pi to send an email to whoever.

The programming is not going to be insurmountable and will probably be reasonably simple.

When it comes to interfacing to something that will send an email its unlikely that you can avoid programming. Especially if you are trying to do it on the cheap or can't afford an off the shelf solution if it even exists.

10. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

11. Shirty

Thanks for all your help folks.

Professional solutions are available, but they seem to start at around £150. This is probably what he'll go for, was really just wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations based upon experience.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

We've got some nice little temp monitors at work, they defiantly do email alerting as we found out on Friday when the heat exchangers iced over and the aircon shut off! They also do nice graphs that look pretty on our stats screens ;)

Not sure on the model but I'll check tomorrow when I'm in. I can't imagine they would be that expensive as we don't have massive budgets.

13. Shirty

Cheers fella.

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

TemPageR do these. Cheap enough & can set to email you

Shirty likes this.
  15. Shirty

Thanks sas, he hadn't come across that firm in his research and was interested to see this option - so you might well be the winner (of some rep at least ;)).

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff