1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Looking for a free domain to practice with scripts, php, mySQL

Discussion in 'Software' started by khelza, 3 Feb 2015.

1. khelza

khelza What's a Dremel?

I am pretty new at this stuff, but have created a database in mySQL with multiple linking tables. I am trying to learn how to create forms on a website, in which the data will be sent from the forms to a database.

I am hoping to find a webhost that provides:
    - free domain (even if it's an extension)
    - web editor
    - script, php abilities
    - free database

Even if there are no completely free sites out there, if there is a site that provides those capabilities in a free trial, I would be interested in checking it out. I am just trying to learn scripting and tying it all together with a temporary database.

Hoping I'm heading in the right direction.. :worried:

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Why not look to host it locally on your own machine?

Granted you don't get the domain but is that a requirement as such for practice?

Something like this: http://www.wampserver.com/en/

3. khelza

khelza What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to create a database that can be queried from any computer, by any user in the group.

They should have the ability to add a new entry, modify or delete and existing entry, or search by keyword within entries

I don't think we want to database to reside in any one person's computer. An online server would satisfy that, no?

4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Drop me a PM I can hook you up.

5. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

failing that - dyndns, port forwarding and a LAMP stack on a Virtual box.
    Job's a good'n.

This is my prototyping environment and it's worked great.

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

you could also use AWS for a year on the free tier and build your own lamp stack on a micro instance, though, it depends on whether or not you would feel comfortable throwing together a lamp stack on a linux box.

you wouldn't get a domain - but all instances do have a public hostname, so you wouldn't really need one.

I can't remember if you can get an RDS (relational database service) instance on the free tier as well - but you might be able to. If not you could just stick mysql on the ec2 micro instance.

It would be worth doing the above anyone just for fun, I like messing about on AWS.

edit: yes you can http://aws.amazon.com/rds/free/ so you can get a free EC2 micro instance for a year with a free RDS instance, which would be quite a nice little test environment. (for a year) - what I would say though, remember to stop everything at the end of the year if you don't want to pay!

Last edited: 4 Feb 2015