1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone, iPod Touch opened to developers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

When they up the space on the touch I will want one. I don't want the phone though.

3. quack

quack Minimodder

It's about time, although I still won't be buying either. I'm happy with my ZEN. :)

4. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo What's a Dremel?

Guess they decided they couldn't keep the developers out in the end......

5. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

LOL. Does that mean we will have to rely on 3rd party apps for MMS?

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Looking forward to getting scummVM on my ipod touch.

7. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Aaah, history is repeating itself. :lol:

Microsoft did a nearly identical thing about 5 years ago with their first windows mobile phones: complete 3rd party app-lockout, which then got hacked and bypassed, eventually forcing MS to cave in and open up the phones.

Just think how much time apple could have saved if they hadn't done the exact same mistake their rivals did 5 years ago :duh:

8. ChiperSoft

ChiperSoft What's a Dremel?

There's an easy way to make sure that viruses don't load onto the iPhone... Just dont let it execute any downloaded code. As long as the only applications that can be installed are installed by the user in itunes, there should be no problems.

9. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

The iPod touch was suppose to be open to the developers but Apple locked it when they locked the iPhone, hackers have unlocked both and added apps already much to Apple's disapontment. So what Apple is really doing is giving in to the vary hight demand for 3rd party apps. Apple wants to make sure that you can't mess around with there softwear so you have to have your app aproved by them first then it will be able to go on the iPhone or the iPod touch...
    All in all this should have been done from day one and people shoudn't have to wait untill February for an app that will not kill your worenty...
    I will be happy when I can add cool new apps to my 8GB iPod touch, like games and other fun things...

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That won't stop someone from tucking a virus into an app that appears legitimate.

And it's a very serious concern too, considering that (as of now), all of the iPhones out there have the same root//dottie credentials.

Anyways, I KNEW this would happen in time, and had been saying it from day one. You don't spend half your keynote talking about how your new product is running a real, proper desktop-class operating system and then not let anybody use it. I just wish they'd said something earlier. But I'll be sticking with my AppTapp'd iPhone until that time comes, and probably for some time after until I know that the new, official system works properly and has some stuff worth getting.

Tags: Add Tags