1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Should I return my monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phillthy, 24 Apr 2012.

1. Phillthy

Phillthy What's a Dremel?

I've just purchased a 23" LG IPS235V and took delivery yesterday, upon testing it out I've noticed a small purple-y coloured patch in the top right quarter of the screen but it's only noticeable on black or very dark pictures.

Could anyone tell me what this is?
    I'm in two minds whether to send it back or not :confused:

Any help appreciated!

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Can you take a picture? Is it right in the corner or not? Depending on these it may be backlight bleed, in which case it isn't faulty.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Picture please.
    But I think it's a faulty screen.
    Usually backlight bleeding is colored white/blue/gray depending on the backlight you have, and will appear on all 4 corners (for IPS panels).

4. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

Eeek. Thats the monitor I'm intending to buy for my new build. Is this sort of problem common? I'd hate to buy a duff monitor.

5. GoodBytes

This is the first time I hear this story. POINT. From any LG monitor since 2009 on this forum.
    So unless that something changed with LG just now, you should expect no problem experience, and this is just a bad luck error manufacture story. This includes Dell and HP IPS monitors which also uses LG monitors. The last problem that LG had, was in early 2009, where many IPS panels had a tint issue and/or heavy back light bleeding and/or problem displaying colors on the whole screen. This was correctly shortly after, all covered under warranty.. and well.. you can return it, right? So no problem for those affected back then.
    So you should not worry about.

6. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

If you're even bothering to ask the question, "Should I return my monitor?", I think the answer is a big fat YES! The monitor is one of the longest lasting parts of a computer and you'll notice this problem every time it happens.

7. Phillthy

I'll grab a picture of it later, it's not on an edge or near a corner. If you were to quarter the screen up it's pretty much in the middle of the top right hand quarter (that's a terrible description I know).

I'm sending it back now, fair point about it being the longest lasting part so I may as well make sure it's bang on!

I'll get a refund and go for a Dell U2312HM I think, can't really justify the extra £50 for another inch on the U2412M.

Sound good? Or should I steer clear?

8. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Just got my U2312HM last month and it's great. Would have went for with U2412M but the price difference is too much and i haven't had any problems with the U2312HM. Would highly recommend it.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2012
  9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

i received the same monitor this morning, and it doesnt have any issues, the picture quality is great for the price.

Sounds like you might have just got a duff one, id be tempted to just get it replaced tbh.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Sounds like backlight bleed due to poor panel mounting and assembly. It will probably worsen and change shape as you apply pressure if that's what it is.

Send it back.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2012
    Phillthy likes this.
  11. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

And get a U2312. :D I was also tempted by the IPS235V but in the end i went with the Dell as the build quality on it was said to be high quality - which it is.

Phillthy likes this.
  12. Phillthy

Well here's a bit of a crap pic for you folks although what I'm talking about is clearly visible.
    Like I say it's back in the box and RMA collection has been arranged for tomorrow.

[​IMG]

13. Phillthy

Thanks for the replies btw! :)

14. GoodBytes

If you are interested in the Dell U2312/U2412, they are great monitors. I saw and experience the U2412, and for the price, you won't be disappointed, especially with the service of Dell, if you ever need to do a RMA (free shipping both direction, everything is taken care off, you get to keep the screen while a replacement is sent, and you have 10 business days from the day you received the replacement to return the current one, so you have plenty of time, and shipping is really fast, usually you get a replacement the next day).

The U2412 and the U2312 are identical in specs and what it give you as image. The reason why the U2412 cost more is the aspect ratio. That is comes to preferences. Usually, the "rule of thumb" if you will, is if you do work on your system beside 16:10 is welcome. If it's for entertainment, web surfing, and gaming... well 16:10 doesn't have much appeal, as the extra real estate doesn't give you much, especially due to the higher price, as you saw yourself. So it's up to you.

In my case, I do programming, gaming, web, typing documents, and more.. so 16:10 is pretty much a must for me... or at least at this resolution.

Phillthy likes this.
  15. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Well it seems to have backlight bleed in 3 corners and that patch appears to be like a localised area of bleed.

Send it back in a flash.

16. GoodBytes

Oh yea, that looks like a something broke on the back of the screen, related to the backlight system. RMA all the way.

17. Phillthy

Thanks very much for the advice GB, I'll definitely be giving the Dell a go then! Fingers crossed this time :D

18. Phillthy

I have no idea when it comes to monitors to be honest, it's been that long since I've had a desktop! So you'll have to forgive my ignorance :s

Is it strange that the affected area only shows on dark backgrounds? Or is this normal?

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

It's normal for backlight bleed, because the light isn't being completely blocked by the lcd, so some parts appear lighter (like in the corners). It's a production problem that can affect any consumer LCD (apart from the super high end which I assume will be cherrypicked or have gone through a more stringent production process).

I'v found it only to be an issue if you regularly watch movies with borders; for the desktop it is not a major problem as you rarely will be viewing a full dark screen.

However, in your case that localised patch would definitely annoy me and I wouldn't accept that.

Phillthy likes this.
  20. Phillthy

Ah I see, like you say though I'm sure it would cause no end of botheration when the screen is dark!

(Just noticed we're both in Manchester, cool!)