1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V PC <> DAC <> (HiFi and Headphones)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkeyville, 30 Oct 2012.

1. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

I'm trying to find a DAC to connect my PC to my HiFi but also allow me to listen to headphones if required without unplugging/removing the headphone jack.

It sounds a relatively simple requirement but i can't find any product that confirms if the RCA outputs of a DAC will continue to work if the headphones are plugged in. My headphones are wireless and therefore the base station is always going to be plugged in but this usually disables the RCA outputs without any option.

I doubt any product would send a signal to both outputs, but i thought some DAC's might let you specify which output to use.

Anyone use something like this?

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Could you not just piggy back off the RCA outputs going to your Hi-Fi?

Edit: A pair of these and one of these (assuming your headset base station uses a 3.5mm input)?

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  3. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I don't know whether what you're asking for is universal but I know the first DAC I tried - the Behringer UCA222 - allows this. I have my headphones in the 3.5mm jack and my Aktimate Maxi speakers in the RCA outputs.

With both the headphones and speakers plugged in, I get sound through both. With the speakers volume low or actually powered off, the sound from the headphones is clearly audible, even when not wearing them.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The FiiO E9/E7 combo does this, very useful actually, although their current range is a bit thin on equivalent new stuff.

5. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

6. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

- Buy an Asus Xonar Essence STX.
    - Use the onboard software to switch between outputs.
    - The TI DAC on the Asus blows away anything currently available on the market sub-$1000.

In my case the setup is:
    PC <> DAC (Asus Xonar Essence STX) <> Headphone Amp [RCA] <> Headphones
    PC <> DAC (Asus Xonar Essence STX) <> Gaming Headset [3.5mm]

If I decide to get a separate amp for speakers down the road I could use the optical output as well, and just switch to that.

PC <> Asus Xonar Essence STX <> Stereo Amp [Optical] [DAC] <> Speakers

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]