1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics connectors

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jamsand, 26 Jan 2013.

1. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Where can i find black versions of all the connectors for a pc I'v just starte doing custom cables got my 24 pin done now i need to find the rest of the connectors preferably male and female versions of each

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

C&C for male and female connectors for making extensions.

3. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Cool, Your crimper is finally gettin some use lol!

4. Big Elf

They normally stock all the male and female connectors in black and will get them other colours to order. I generally use the ModSmart version as the Phobya versions are more expensive because they come with the ATX pins but the pins are non-standard crap.

If they're out of stock on anything you need urgently let me know as I always have a few sets in stock.

5. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Thanks i ordered the phobya ones from special tech as i had an order for there anyway(got a modmat damn it's huge and awesome for the messy worker in me) I'm gonna say that i like they're pins sorry!...they look exactly the same as the ones you included with the crimp tool lol!*brace*

They seem to cut in fairly well I'v been experimenting with different pins so yeh the ones you included(mdpc-x?) and the phobya ones are good for biting the rest went in the bin they suck and just fall off...I'm using specialtech's wire just now but gettin some wire from RS compenents on monday as they've got a store right round the corner from my uni :D

6. Big Elf

The Phobya pins are of 2 types, one with the long rear wing similar to the MDPC-X (Molex) one and the other with the short wing (I can't remember now whether it's the male or female that have the long wing). The one with the long wing crimps OK but if you prefer to pre-crimp the pins then neither of them will do it properly so won't stay in position on the wire for the final crimp. If the one with the shorter wing doesn't pull off with finger pressure then you'll be OK.

Try to avoid the 24/0.2 wire with the thicker insulation. Any wire thicker than roughly 2.1mm is slightly more difficult to get back in the connector when sleeved, especially with heatshrink. That could explain the particular problem you're having getting the wire back in the connector. The Specialtech wire is 2.3mm thick and I personally don't like it as well as it being expensive.

7. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I should still have the short code for the stuff from rs you told me to get that's why i was thinking i'll pop round there it was mainly due to having an order in, I finally got to the point where i was liek right i need to either start sleeving like i said or sell this tool cause it's not gettin the use it deserves. So as i couldn't part with it ordered the easiest wire and connectors to hand lol. and paracord is on it's way