1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Radeon 7990 made official and demoed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 27 Mar 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

AMD late to its own party?

3. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

"Does AMD's new card tickle your fancy? Let us know your thoughts in the comments."

No. I've written off this gen and I'm counting down the days until the next one. Whenever the hell that is.
    Realistically to continue gaming on 3 screens I need around double the performance I'm getting with my current 2x570GTX's. I just don't know if that's going to be possible or not :(

4. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

@Runadumb I totally agree, I'm using a HD6990 on 3 screens I had considered a pair of 7970's or a GTX690 but I need a bigger jump than is currently offered to make it worthwhile throwing down £800.

I hoped to be seeing the AMD 8K and NVidia 7xx series leaking better by now. Guess we still have quite a wait.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Have manufactures not already released a 7990 card? I was under the impression Asus among others have a duel gpu AMD card for the 7 series GPU range.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

For those with 3 screens, I wonder if the less-than-preferred performance is not so much the cores struggling but the lack of VRAM. IMO, 6GB on 3 displays of 1080p or higher while playing modern games seems like just barely good enough. There are HD7850s with 4GB. I think having 2 of those would prove to perform better on 3 displays than 1 HD6990 or even a 7990. OTOH, I think a single HD7990 would perform better on 1 or 2 screens than the 2x HD7850s.

7. runadumb

First line of the Article
    "AMD has finally unveiled its version of the HD 7990 some four months after board partners first released cards based on the design. "

8. runadumb

I'm pretty sure VRAM is a big issue for me. I only have 1.3GB per card. My next card(s) will be at least 3GB.

9. schmidtbag

Hah yea, you will probably need more. But keep in mind Nvidia seems to handle memory a little better. I'd say in terms of gaming performance, 2GB of VRAM in an nvidia GPU is as good as 3GB in an AMD GPU. I'm sure plenty of people would disagree but it's just my personal opinion.

For the record, I like both companies equally; I like the work ethic and ambition of Nvidia but I don't like their attitude toward a lot of things. I currently use AMD right now but I have no problem in supporting nvidia.

10. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Less plugs is surely going to be more to do with keeping it within the 300W limit to make it PCI-E Compliant rather than anything else. Asus don't really care is their small run of boards don't comply, AMD thmeselves have to worry about these things.

11. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

12. schmidtbag

Tags: Add Tags