1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hardkernel announces ODROID-U2, ODROID-X2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have a dual core A9 at home, in the guise of an MK808 Android Mini-TV box, it's brilliant!

They easily run PS2 emulators and the like - I'd imagine the quads are even more impressive.

3. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Doubtful.

4. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

PSX and N64 work great on Android - haven't seen any PS2 emulators though

5. derviansoul

derviansoul What's a Dremel?

I went through the list of extras of this thing, what a nice piece of kit.
    I started dreaming of removing my car stereo and installing a touch screen with linux or android. (dunno what i would do about the audio connectivity but i am sure something would allow me to sort it:D).
    I can imagine this thing to affect all sorts of areas, like xmbc boxes, in car audio, etc.
    An xmbc box hidden behind the tv.
    A second pc inside my tower for android development:D the uses for this would be just amazing:D.

Can wait for this to be out:D, and spend a good few hundred quid in extras with it.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'll dig out the link when I get home.

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

This looks great! As derv said, the in-car uses are awesome!

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

They look pretty awesome :D

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I was looking at these yesterday for use as a car computer but you would have to write your own driver for whatever touchscreen you decide to use, plus I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere if these have gps built in - which for a car computer is desirable.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

None of them have in-built GPS. If you want a touch-screen, GPS-enabled car computer, you're better off buying an Android tablet: you can pick up cheapy-cheaps from about £40 now, and they've got everything you need out-of-the-box.

If you want homebrew but need a touch-screen, either buy a USB HID touchscreen - which will work out-of-the-box under Linux - or think about Olimex's OLinuXino, which has a 7in touch-screen available as an optional extra. You'll pay for it, though: the OLinuXino is £63-ish and the touchscreen another £40-50 or so.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

These things look pretty damn sweet. The only reservation I have is the lack of an accelerated Mali 400 driver for X11; this isn't a problem for Android, but as far as I can tell accelerated video decoding isn't even on offer in Linux. Here's hoping that HardKernel are able to get somewhere with Samsung, or that the Lima project produces something usable soon.

That said, they're still damned impressive pieces of kit.

12. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Getting a tablet was the conclusion I came to as well Gareth but I already have an HP Touchpad which doesn't have GPS and I can't really justify buying another tablet just now unless it is about the same price as one of these development boards.

13. Gareth Halfacree

How about a dual-core 1.2GHz 7in model with GPS, running Android ICS? $96.30, which puts it somewhere between the ODROID-U2 and ODROID-X2 in pricing. It's a lot slower, obviously, but it has GPS and a touch-screen already.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

When will one of these companies include sata on one of these things? Potential for micro NAS could be huge if they could be bothered to allow us some storage connectivity besides abysmal slow usb. Also gigabit ethernet.

15. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

That looks like it'd do the trick nicely Gareth, thank you for the link ! now to think of a way to build a dock in my cars dashboard lol and hook it into my weird car stereo.

P.S I didn't know they made the cheap ones with capacitive screens now. I'll be ordering this on pay day now, so again, thank you !

16. Gareth Halfacree

Around the time somebody produces a system-on-chip processor with SATA. What you're seeing here - the Raspberry Pi, the OLinuXino, the VIA APC 8750, the ODROIDs, and so forth - are all built from the perspective of: here is a chip, let's build a circuit board that pulls out as much functionality from said chip as possible. ARM system-on-chip processors usually - usually - don't have SATA, because they're usually - usually - found in smartphones and tablets, which don't use SATA. You don't waste silicon building in functionality nobody's going to use.

Sure, a board designer can go ahead and add in a third-party SATA controller, but they still have to connect it to the SoC - and many SoCs don't have any kind of high-bandwidth bus that would make SATA worth it over just using USB in the first place. Some do: the Marvell Sheevaplug eSATA, which uses a Ferroceon SoC design, has a single eSATA port on it. Adding that in costs some serious dosh, though: the Sheevaplug eSATA costs about £97 excluding VAT.
    Again, if you're willing to pay, there are options out there for you: the DreamPlug has two gigabit Ethernet ports, as well as in-built Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Costs £149, though...

17. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

lysol: What about the Cubieboard?

http://cubieboard.org/2012/11/15/unboxing-of-cubieboard-prototype/

It looks to be $59 and has a single SATA socket, and will self power a 2.5" drive.

It's an intriguing development, but like a lot of these other boards doesn't have
    a strong community behind it.
    On that front, the Raspberry Pi is way and beyond the competition in terms of support and community.

That's my take on it just now; waiting for the dust to settle a bit to see what to dabble with.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This is exactly my concern with it. While there's a lot of support out there for armhf/armel in terms of distros, there's little support in the way of graphics acceleration for X11 - particularly for the Mali-400 GPU, so beloved of cheaper SBC/SoC implementations. Though at least with the Odroid-U2/X2 that quad-core 1.7GHz chip does rather compensate somewhat...

The cubieboard also has a hell of a lot going for it, especially at a price point that almost matches the Raspberry Pi.

19. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Fair enough, I don't really follow arm much and wasn't aware of the technical details. I was merely pointing that if they want to keep pushing these for desktop or server use it would be a really good idea to add better storage capability and networking for further uptake. Adding those features at mass production would be a minimal price increase as opposed to add on component. If it was available I would definitely purchase something like this with say 4x sata port to replace some overpowered simple file servers.

20. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

Im expecting my cubieboard next week, hopefully it will do great and replace my raspberry pi HTPC + torrent downloader. (have other plans for my pi regarding some home automation stuffs)