1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II X4 970 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

No 965 in the benchmarks?

3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I'm afraid not, the 965 is such an old product (Nov 2009) that it was tested with different components/software. However, the only difference between it and the 970 is 100MHz, so they perform very similarly.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Ouch!

Still, if you have a compatible board then it will make a good upgrade.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah but you might just as well save some cash and go for the 955. Just crank that multiplier up and you'd never know the difference.

Fair conclusion there. The Phenoms aren't bad (like intel fans would have you believe), but there's a huge difference in the OC.. Then again, a quad-core Phenom at 4 GHz isn't particularly sluggish and will sere any gamer just fine.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Well thats the thing really, any of the 9xx Black Edition quads are as powerful as you need for any of todays and tommorrows games...

You only really need to go Intel if you are a non gaming user with serious proffessional Application use in mind...

970 with a top GPU will be a better gaming machine than an overclocked i7 and an average GPU....

Decide what you use the machine for and choose accordingly....

7. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

theoretically, wouldn't it be better to get the intel anyway? i understand what you guys are saying with the oc and whatnot. but i keep thinking, if they are similar at price and have similar performance (at standard), why not go for the option that allows you to get a performance boost in the future (oc when the situatuion calls for it, let's say when your rig is getting "old"). that would keep you from thinking 'bout an upgrade a little while longer. why not go intel oc'd with top gpu? same price apart from a new cooler.
    just thinking.

8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

If your building a system from scratch then yes go for Intel if you want maximum possible performance now and in the future comapred to an AMD quad...

But, if you already have an AM2+ or AM3 setup, its not worth the cost of a new MOBO as well to go Intel....unless you just fancy a change that is...

9. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

If you're still on DDR2, don't have a third-party cooler, etc, the upgrade to a G6950 could well be worth it over a Phenom II 9xx. For starters, you'd probably spend as much on CPU and mobo for the Intel path as you would on just the Phenom chip. Benchmark scores favour the G6950 once it's overclocked, and since you're buying the rest of the platform at the same time, why not? From there, an i5/i7 is a drop-in upgrade, should you fancy the extra performance.

I'm not saying "KILL ALL YOUR AMD STUFF - IT'S TERRIBLE" - just that if you're upgrading from AM2, the DDR3 question rears its head, and if you fancy that upgrade, Intel might be the better path.

10. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

atm i'm leaning towards intel (not buying, just speculating =) ). can't see any advantages in going amd, unless one is stuck with an amd mobo. we'll see what happens pricewise when sandy bridge is let loose. wonder if amd will keep up (or down) with the pricedrop.

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm looking at going AMD for a 1090T based rig simply because I've got bored with overclocking Intel stuff. You know what they say - a change is as good as a rest. :D Well, that and it's a hexacore CPU that is actually affordable. ;)

12. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Between the i5 and the phenom, it appears the system build tested would only differ by motherboard and processor, what do you reckon the price difference would be between the setups from scratch?

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I would have liked to see this chip put up against the 955BE in the benchmarks. Is this any better?

14. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Basically the same chips, but with a 300mhz speed bump....benchmark scores will scale accordingly...

Although the 955 generally tops out in the 3.8-3.9Ghz overclocked territory with normal, non water cooling, whereas the 965 and 970 can usualy break the 4Ghz barrier (just) with a decent air cooler..

15. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Considering they're the same chip design, same stepping, and both Black Editions, probably not. Binning may help to some extent, but even aggressive overclocking in this review only yielded 100MHz more than the 965.

EDIT: Ninjas are out in force today...

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

this thing just had to come out a few weeks after I bought my 965 huh

17. Snips

Let's not be kidding ourselves here. This is no alternative for a new build in anyway at all. The Intel equivalent is better by a long way.

Unless you have an existing compatible motherboard fine but for anything else as per the Bit-tech recommendation, it's just not worth it.

Leave the fanboism at the door. AMD have to bring out something stunning even to take on everything below an i7. Since any NEW architecture isn't due until way into 2011, this isn't going to change realistically for at least a year.

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Sadly true. My 1055T is a purely Cinema 4D rendering based decision.

19. Snips

But a bloody good decision at that.

20. funkymonk

funkymonk What's a Dremel?

The AMD's are a good deal cheaper than the Intel equivalents. And not everyone wants to overclock. In fact the vest majority of people will never have a need to overclock.

Tags: Add Tags