1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 29 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Am I the only person whose biggest desire with backlit keyboards is to just have a white option?

I think having bright blue or red keys (especially in a low light setting) is just really annoying. I would much rather have a dimable white key over a red or blue one any day of the week. From my searching there are very few white options available though so maybe I'm alone on this one.

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

As luck would have it this very keyboard is available with white LED backlighting ;)

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'd like a white backlit keyboard too, so this is good.

However, in low-light environments, I prefer red... it's less intrusive. Blue and green are the worst colours for backlighting in low-light environments. (I dislike the obsession the tech world current has with blue lights everywhere - they can give me a headache...)

5. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Yeah the problem is the freaking price tag! :jawdrop:

Can and do for me also, personally I find red light in low lighting situations strains my eyes. I understand why its used, but I still would prefer white (warm white would be easier on the eyes than cold white).

And I completely agree that the current black body with blue/green/red lights is getting pretty old. Personally I've never cared for it much at all, but after years of the same I would just love a little diversity. I wish some of these companies would show some creativity and give us something different. There are definitely other options available but they just seem to be either hardly worth the price tag (see above :hehe:) or ugly as hell

6. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

8. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

9. Shirty

:hehe:

The £50 is because it's the new model. Capitalism baby. £100 isn't a bad price for the Shine 1 at all though, shame I don't like blacks.

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

These are available in all 4 common switch type (red, brown, blue, black) and several color of backlight. There is also a tenkeyless version out as well. There are a few improvement over the first version of shine, most notably v2 will remember the backlight setting between power off.

11. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Loved that description :)

Bleh damn Capitalism + UK hike... $145 in the states

Yeah I am pretty much all ready to splash out and get my first mech keyboard and the Shine 1 seems to fit the bill. Not sure on what colour mx to get, kinda decided to get reds (typically £15 more expensive than blacks in CCL at least).

What colour did ya go for?

12. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

Yeah, I like the look of the tenkeyless version, will have to weigh up how much I use it atm. I suppose that could get quite annoying, not remembering between power off.... hmmm £50 though.

13. Shirty

Thanks lysol, should have know that really :blush:

I've tried the four main Cherry MX switches and I like reds best followed by browns. If I were a pure typist I'd probably pick blues over the lot but only if the noise wasn't an issue... blacks were just too firm for me.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Order from international, and hope you don't get slammed at the customs for fees...
    I just thought I would mention those things since they really were not in the review. There is a lot more choices than what is mentioned.

15. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

Another lackluster review from Bit-tech.

I've had a Ducky II for a couple of months, and it's an excellent keyboard. It's almost perfect in it's minimalism, even to the extent it's purely plug and play, no software required. At the highest brightness setting the backlighting is certainly "garish", but no-one's going to use it. The lowest setting provides optimal visibility while being an excellent pitch, so it's really a mute point. The Cherry MX black keys suck (had a Thermaltake Meka G-Unit previously), few mechanical keyboard users buy them, but that didn't stop Bit-tech reviewing 'em, did it? With a purely linear feel and no tactile feedback they're merely OK for gaming, and they suck for typing. You'll find most people using browns or blues, often with rubber o-rings to cut down noise. I note you gave the K60 86%, yet it's not even backlit, which is pretty damn important. Oh, but it does have multimedia keys and that brushed aluminium is sooo sexy... talk about style over substance! Also, as others have commented, the UK RRP is ridiculous, and can be bought for around US$150 from any e-tailer, so that's another mute point.

16. Shirty

Just a point m0ngy, you only ever seem to post on here how **** you think Bit-tech is. Have you ever considered that you might be reading the wrong site?

Bit-tech does component reviews well, but attempts to cater to a wider audience with the occasional peripheral/monitor review. These are at best opinion pieces written by reviewers whose expertise lies elsewhere, but are an entry point for those who don't venture into the forums too often.

Just take them for what the are. Quite frankly keyboards, speakers etc. are so subjective that reviews are only ever opinion pieces wherever you read them. A reviewer given a 'board with a switch type they don't get on with will likely heap criticism on it, whereas it will be the perfect choice for someone else.

17. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I have the Ducky "Year of the Dragon" which is, as I understand it, essentially the TKL version of this board. Love it, definitely worth the price tag; less than 10 GBP more than the equivalent Filco once delivery is factored in and the Filco has no lighting.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Cherry Black switches are still popular, currently using them with no intentions of changing (having had boards with reds, blues, browns)
    Also people who use o-rings are misguided, the noise is half of the awesomeness! ;D

Backlighting is important to some, not to others, just like most of the things you're commenting on. Peripherals aren't as easy to review as a cpu, it isn't just 'better', it's more personal.
    The UK RRP is relevant since this is a UK site really...

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

want vs need is coming on strong

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Trying to review a keyboard or mouse is like trying to rate the looks of a pc case, personal opinion just happens to be very important.

Anyway, I don't see much wrong with the review, it explains the functionality, mentions problems (backlight flickering) and so on.

Tags: Add Tags