1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Recommendations for an SSD please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MazzaB, 27 Jul 2011.

1. MazzaB

MazzaB What's a Dremel?

I have £150 max to spend and want one to install windows 7, photoshop CS5, lightroom, microsoft office and some smaller stuff and still have room for a few big games. DO I need 120 or is 90GB OK,and how much extra speed will I get from more expensive SSDs

(MY new rig is here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=212521 - it should all have just been delivered by now!)

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

3. MazzaB

MazzaB What's a Dremel?

Not until September, but may be better to wait and get the "proper" gear.

M4 not vertex 3?

4. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Minimodder

The Corsair looks the best for the price. If you have to stay on budget, overclockers.co.uk are doing a OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB for a good price but it's not SATA-3 like the Corsair and won's be as fast.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

A 128gb m4 drive is the best for that price (everything will always be better if you up the budget a bit ;)

6. MazzaB

MazzaB What's a Dremel?

Do I need high write speeds when the drive is mostly going to be used for applications/ OS rather than data (I'll have an HDD or two for mass storage obviously)

7. MazzaB

MazzaB What's a Dremel?

I managed to find a bit more budget and also a few quid off the Crucial M4 128GB at scan on todays deals! Thanks for all the advice!

8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

if you've not bought already, the C300 is overall a faster drive than the M4 as an OS, apps, games drive...

...& that Corsair drive is effectively an OCZ Agility 3 - same asynchonous nand, etc...

Yeah, depending on how much you can up your budget then @ ~£200 it's the intel 510 or V3 & ~£20 ish above that then the Max iops V3 is the best for most users.

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Just as a side note - the Office pack will not really benefit from being on the SSD. It is text editing after all.

10. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

it does significantly improve the initial loading speeds, but otherwise you're correct...

11. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

another vote for the crucial m4. Got one 3 weeks ago and its been amazing. The c300 and m4 have both proven to be extremely reliable as well compared to their competitors.

12. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Other than the early f/w for the C300 that bricked loads of drives completely which also brings their QC into question...

...yeah, i'm simply pointing out that all SSD manufacturers have had their issues at times - though if you actually overly value reliability in the consumer market then the intels will win out but normally at increased cost &/or reduced performance...

...the 128GB 510 being something of an exception imho although, as said, for an extra ~£20 there's the max iops V3 (or there's roughly equivalent Patriot & Corsair drives - though they tend to be less active with f/w updates).