1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Hawg Desk Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by hawg, 2 May 2012.

1. hawg

hawg What's a Dremel?

So recently my wife asked me to move her into the "man cave". Her demands were that I built her a custom computer AND a desk. So inspired by l3p d3sk I decided to make my own desk but with a bit of luxary look to it. I will use a cherry finish and it will reek of rich mahogany and leather bound books.

Features:
    2 liquid cooled computers inside each with a dedicated loop/
    Flow indicators
    pressure safety valves
    drain line
    fan speed / temp controller
    Usb's and cd rom on table top
    Switches for UV and LED lights
    (l x w x h) 8'8" x 5' 2" x 29"
    Separates into 3 segments for moving

I intend on building this beast late this summer after my house is finished. I'm just trying to get some ideas out there on improvements/implications so let me know what you think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 May 2012
  2. Jackster

Jackster What's a Dremel?

I would not have the drain port right there. Would look a tad silly :p

Try inside and then have it so you can connect a quick connect fitting to it so you can feed the water out of te system to a bucket yet still look good.

3. yogi6994

yogi6994 What's a Dremel?

This looks interesting, subbed!!!:thumb:

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Looks promising - I want one! A couple of points...

I'd think twice about mounting USB and optical drives on the desk surface. They're bound to get in the way occasionally and I don't even want to think about spilled drinks!

(I also think the mounting positions for them currently has no flair but that's just me being a cow!)

Same goes for the tap. I'd likely as not knock it off within a fortnight (but that's just me bing a clumsy cow), but if was a huge big steampunk or 'Valve' type valve then maybe I'd live with it and be careful.

Are you both needing access to the computers at the same time a lot? Or does one of you work/play at home more often? You could always mount those monitors on flexi-arms to allow one of you easy access to a large dual/tri? monitor setup!

5. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

good idea and looking forward to the log, but i cant see no pictures of progress... sorry pal but this belong in the modding section and not worklog :/ Especially if your not planning to start until en of summer :/

(from the rules)
    "2. Your first post must contain pics of the actual mod in progress. If all you have is an idea, you don't have a log. If all you have is some conceptual sketches, you don't have a log. If all you have to show is a heap of parts, you don't have a log. This forum is purely for concrete work in progress - the other modding forums are more appropriate for concepts and thoughts."

6. mally91

mally91 What's a Dremel?

looking good, looking forward to seeing how it turns out. subscribed!!!!

7. hawg

hawg What's a Dremel?

I really want the usb's accessible on the desktop somewhere, but I could see them being an issue with food. I was thinking an alternative might be a cover of some sort and maybe located closer to the monitor area, just run a longer cable.

The cd-rom will be moving, it does look kind of tacky and i dont even think it would work facing upwards.

As far as the valve goes i really want to use it. Im not a crazy good modder like any steampunk but I work in the oil process industry (same reason i have a rotameter flow indicator) and its kind of a symbol of my work. I wont be using that exact spigot, ill replace it with either something i use in my workplace or of the same sorts.

8. hawg

hawg What's a Dremel?

ill see you on the other side

9. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

?

10. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Looking forward to seeing how this evolves, idea looks good so far :)

11. hawg

hawg What's a Dremel?

of the forums :worried: