1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remembrance Day Poppy Burning

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Akava, 11 Nov 2010.

1. Akava

Akava Lurking...

A friend just linked this to me and honestly... I'm speachless that anyone would do something like this on a day like this.

Poppy-burning Muslim protesters mar Armistice Day commemorations.

Discuss...

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Fixed.

3. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

This is not good and gives ammo to the racist BNP and its footsoldiers the EDL I am an officer of NORSCARF (NORTH STAFFORDSHORE CAMPAIGN AGAINST RACISM AND FACISM) and have been campaigning against this sort of thing for years angem choudry is a terrorist of the highest order the sooner he is arrested and confined to prison the better,anyone who burns poppies like this on remembrance day should be emprisoned for insulting the memories of those who have died for thier country and also those who are still fighting for thier country

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

You mean those people who died, and those people who are still fighting, to allow us to live in a country where we have the freedom to act like dickheads and burn poppies in protest if we so choose? I find it somewhat ironic that you'd imprison people for insulting the memories of soldiers who have died and are still fighting when it's the very fact that these soldiers died and are fighting that allow the protesters to do what they did.

5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

This isn't even about 'their' war, why the **** can't they back the **** out for a day so we can remember the fallen?

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Freedom of speech is not the same as being anti-british, derp. Disagree with the ongoing conflicts, sure, but to sully the memory of people who died & are dying to protect us from extremists/ provide us with oil is just not on; freedom of speech is not a right to insight religious or racial hatred against the west.

I find it ironic that muslim extremists are on a crusade currently, yet thats fine because some deluded christians did the same thing several hundred years ago, so why protest about it now?

7. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

The picture in the article isn't of a poppy being burnt. It just looks like some red material. Dunno if they put up a picture of something different or something. Although I really wouldn't put it past the Mail to have exaggerated or entirely made this story up being the filthy rag that it is......

8. vinylperfection

vinylperfection What's a Dremel?

They did not make it up.

http://muslimsagainstcrusades.com/
    This is the group responsible.

As much as i dislike to see that groups such as the BNP exist.
    If it wasn't for groups such as the EDL campaigning then the muslim extremists would have walked a lot further than they have.
    I find it a disgrace that these people were given the go ahead by the met police to protest in this way. They did it purely to insight hatred and to disturb the peace of the public.

Rememberance day has nothing to do with the middle east wars. It's about 11.11.11 and remembering the fallen who gave their lives to make the world the free place that it is today.

Funny how the EDL had the leader as well as other members arrested and yet none of the muslims that disgraced our troops and the public were arrested.

Trouble is as much as we all want peace in this country as long as the police keep allowing these extremist groups to do this then the bigger and stronger all the other groups like the BNP, EDL and so on are going to get.

I also find it a disgrace as to how one sided the media is... the only paper that seems to have the guts to print anything is the mail, and all the others talk about the evil bnp, and the evil edl... yet has anyone read any stories in the papers about the uaf or the muslim defence league that constantly riot in this country?

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Poppy or not, I do think the "British soldiers burn in hell" is pretty unambiguous.

It really does make me wonder why people like those (should) have the right to live in a country they obviously so deeply hate. Disgusting.

No, I'm not a "racist", but I do have my opinions of how people should get used to their new homeland, not the other way around.

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I agree, it's not. But it's freedom of speech which allows people to be anti-british. You wanna ban people making anti-british comments/statements? Then you need to get rid of the idea of freedom of speech.

Imo it sullys the memories of people who died and are dying no more than calls to imprison/punish people for saying something that the majority disagree with. We live in a country where like it or not people are able to hold opinions and say things that others may consider distateful or be offended by. Our right to do that is thanks, in part, to the sacrifice of soldiers over the years but that sacrifice has to allow all speech, not just those parts we're comfortable with hearing otherwise it becomes meaningless.

11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I'm fine with immigration, but if you're going to deliberately mar the memory of the fallen of the country which has allowed you in you frankly deserve to be kicked out of the country. Obviously this might be a little extreme for some but it's just how I feel. I wouldn't go and live in another country and laugh at their dead soldiers.

Sometimes I hate the human race :/

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think fallen soldiers in Iraq are included too. That may make them feel that it is kind of 'their' war.

Hey, everybody still feeling good about Draw Mo Day? Gotta love that Freedom of Speech, right? Right? :D

And again:
    Now before we get to that fun bit of condemning... yeah, you guessed it, we have to get through that boring, messy bit of understanding first. Let's hear from the accused:

They kind of have a point.

While we are getting all sentimental about our fallen soldiers we spare little thought for the ordinary Iraqi and Afghan families whose lives have been thoroughly dislocated, even destroyed, by our self-righteous intervention. You know, 200.000 dead, 2 million dislocated from their homes; Iraq a terrorist trailer park, Afghanistan... well, just Afghanistan, same as it ever was under the Soviets.

And what were those wars about again? Oh, yeah, 9/11: committed by Saudi terrorists, with a Saudi ringleader, driven by fundamentalist ideology from Saudi soil, and funded by Saudi money. So we went to bomb Afghanistan. Wait, what? Right, right, that was because Osama Bin Laden was suspected of being hidden by the Taliban in Afghanistan, except that he was never found. Iraq was suspected of having WMD (probably because we sold a shitload to it in the 90's), except that none were found. I'm seeing a pattern here. Thanks for the oil though.

Oh, and Saddam, you're a bad, bad boy. OK, you were a bad, bad boy back in the 80's when Rumsfeld was still shaking your hand and we were selling you poison gas to kill the Kurds with (which you were tried and hanged for; does that make us accomplices?), but you were our bad boy and you knew your place --which was to give our enemy Iran a hard time.

Oh, and the Taliban, they were bad boys too. Except when they were our bad boys, back in the 80's when we were funding extremist madrassa to churn out the next generation of Afghan freedom fighters against the Soviets, and in the 90's, making business deals with Texas.

Ah, so much happens in a few decades. Enough for some people halfway across the globe to have their few minutes of contemplative silence too.

Let's can the sentimental crap. I commemorate Armistice day too. Not because I think of the brave soldiers who died for our freedom, but because I think of the lives wasted for political expediency (seriously, what was WWI about again? Look it up), their families left bereft, and the lives of innocent civilians sacrificed on the altar of epic foreign policy failures and national greed.

Wars are not glorious. Wars are messy. As unpleasant a bunch of crackpots as Muslims Against Crusades are, at least they pierce through the political sentimental hypocrisy and remind us of that fact.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  13. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Then it has to work both ways,

If you can make anti british statements, then you should be able to make anti- muslim etc statements,

It deffo seems like racism only works 1 way.

why is it seen that you cant be racist to white people, this so annoys me.

theres as much racism towards white people as any other person.

You do not insult people that are paying your way in this country, if people dont like the uk, then they dont have to come here, simple as.

deffo with Evil merc on this one.

14. Nexxo

Ah, let me step in here again. Why do you think these people are here? Is it perchance because a century ago we were ransacking their countries? Does colonialism ring a bell? Slavery, perchance? Sins of the parents; they all come back to haunt us today.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

not surprised

16. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

wow, actual questions in a quest for understanding, imagine that? =)

it won't end until one "side" decides to stop reacting with a "**** you too" and start asking the tough questions per the above. plus, apparently, we have much shorter historical memories than do the countries we've exploited (and continue to). hmm, makes sense. victim remembers, perpetrator tries to forget.

17. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

I think a big problem here is the politisising of the poppy. The poppy used to just be about remembering ALL war dead, whether they be British, American, French, German, Japanese, Argentinian etc etc.

Since the days of Blair, I feel the poppy has been hijacked as a means to support the current crop of troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. This was not why the poppy was created, it was to remember how horrible war was and to not do it again, not to glorify current conflicts that are divisive.

18. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I agree with Nexxo, and Krazeh here. While I don't agree at all with what they did. They showed their freedom of speech, as Nexxo used the example with our freedom of speech on Draw Mohammed Day. We can't outlaw what we don't agree with, as then the wars would of been for nothing, as it's taking away people's freedom of speech.

19. Nexxo

Damn skippy. :rock:

20. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

"Freedom of speech" means nothing if you pick and choose what people can and can't say. While their message is utterly distasteful to me, I respect the right of the BNP, EDL, Muslims Against Crusades, the Conservative Party, etc. to have their say.

However, they should realise that the only people that benefit from flag-burning are the people that make and sell the flags.

Landy_Ed likes this.