1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Golden Aegis Mod - Finished! Successful boot

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Shad0whunter, 17 Aug 2012.

1. Shad0whunter

Shad0whunter What's a Dremel?

Hello guys!

It is great pleasure for me to be a part of a mod project. The idea is not all mine, it was actually a suggestion at first, and then escalated into a real project.

The planned hardware for this PC is as follows:

Motherboard - ECS Z77H2-AX (V1.0)

CPU - Intel i5 - 2320

CPU Cooler - Thanks to "Noctua" - NH-L12

RAM - A-Data XPG 1333 Mhz DDR3

Storage - SSD - mSATA A-Data 32 GB

GPU - Intel HD3000

PSU - CM Silent Pro Gold 600W

Sponsor list:​

At a later stage we will be more specific about the parts as for now this is what we can say!

After long time debating and considering an idea, we (3 friends with similar interests in computer hardware) finally came to a point where it all started to arrange itself. I’ll try to be as clear and informative as possible – the basic idea is to build a Spartan shield, just like the ones in the movie “300” based on the comics from Frank Miller.

And behind it – a stand for a PC. We haven’t quite actually designed the stand for the PC, but with the work going, I think it will all come to its place at the end. I and a friend of mine will create the worklog and the actual mod from scratch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Okay, the first thing to be built is the shield. We decided to use a satellite dish for the “mold” of the shield. Although it is not a perfect circle, it is 60 cm in diameter, a proper size for a Spartan shield.

[​IMG]

Later on, when removing the product from the dish we will cut it to be as perfectly round as possible. I think it is the time to say that we are trying to spend as little money as we can. It’s going to be a budget mod, we are not competing with other modders…for now. :D

[​IMG]

This paper tape is the first layer – for later easy removal of the materials that will form the shield.

[​IMG]

We made a second layer opposite of the first for extra strength.

[​IMG]

So in theory this is how we’ll try to make it look at the end – so far so good. After watching several videos and guides of how to make a Spartan shield we came across a very cheap, and in my opinion painless way of doing it. We mixed flour, water and salt as the mortar and some paper sheets to be used as base layer.

[​IMG]

We did underestimate the quantity of flour and water needed for even one layer, so we had to make another container with the mixture to finish with 2 layers of paper.

[​IMG]

After drying, we will make several more layers. These we plan to make from fiberglass and resin. I hope this will be strong enough to keep the shield whole and robust.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2013
  2. Shad0whunter

18.08.2012​

We couldn’t work in my kitchen anymore, so we moved to the basement which is actually on the 9-th floor, but that’s another story. After creating a small workshop there this is the result:

[​IMG]

Two kitchen chairs and some old wooden doors did the trick for us. You see the already dried out shield slug.

Since there is only one light bulb in the room, the light is not much, hence the quality of the pictures. I will try to improve it over time and add more light.

[​IMG]

This is the fiberglass piece which will be used for the shield. It is too much – about a kg in weight, but the shop we bought it from only sells a kg as a minimum.

[​IMG]

This stuff in order of appearance:

Transparent bottle – hardener for the resin

Green bottle – accelerator for the resin

Yellow cap box – epoxide resin itself

In the shop we were told that mixing the contents of the green and transparent bottles is not recommended and should be kept aside from one another.

[​IMG]

Some tools and a cut bottle to be used as a container for the mixture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is resin poured in the container…

[​IMG]

…and resin mixed with accelerator. After 15 minutes it started to look like a jelly and after 30 minutes-even more solid.

[​IMG]

The first piece of fiberglass:

We put one layer of resin first, and then place the piece on top and then finis with another layer of resin. We did not measure the size the pieces, but we cut them as equal as we could.

[​IMG]

The top resin layer was applied until the fiberglass became transparent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are small pieces of fiberglass to cover the edges and other areas which required attention.

[​IMG]

The first layer of fully applied fiberglass.

We used the hardener as a top layer and left it to dry out about an hour before moving on to the next layer.

[​IMG]

Start of the second fiberglass layer.

[​IMG]

This is how it looks after 2 layers of fiberglass and 24 hour “sleep”…we wanted to go for a third layer, but after realizing the strength of the materials we decided not to make 3 layers and left it only with 2 that are quite robust and hard.

That’s it for now, new photos and updates coming soon…

3. Shad0whunter

Hello guys and sorry for the delay! The workshop we bought epoxide resin from is in shortage of the same and we are waiting delivery to continue with the project.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile we bought some goodies to aid the forming of the shield.

[​IMG]

After drying, this is how it looks like. We separated the mold from the satellite dish with ease, probably due to the applied paper tape.

[​IMG]

Not really eye-catchy, but later on it could be...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We applied paper tape again to prevent damage while cutting it to a more useful form. Diameter is 56 cm. Not real 60 cm. , but after making the outer part it will around 62 cm, which is reasonable and as realistic as possible. After all we don't follow strict measures like blacksmiths.
    It was quite hard to cut it - the fiberglass has become really hard and solid.

[​IMG]

Excess pieces. No further usage for these...

As I said, when the workshop gets their resin supply - we would get it first...until then enjoy these photos.

Updates are on the way... :thumb:

Last edited: 2 Sep 2012
  4. Shad0whunter

ECS and Noctua decided to sponsor the project with motherboard: Elitegroup Z77H2-AX (V1.0) and cooler Noctua NH-L12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

More updates on the way!

5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Congrats on the sponsorship! :thumb:

Looking forward to updates! :)

PS. You know when you read something out the corner of your eye, and it's nothing like what it really says?

Golden Aegis Mod
    Shad0whunter

Not gonna say what I thought it said... :lol:

6. Shad0whunter

Thanks for the comment dude! I am happy to finally see some interest in this build after a mere 500 views. :clap:

7. Shad0whunter

You are absolutely free to say what you thought :D

8. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Well, I've got 140.000 + views on my latest build, and I still feel there's not enough interest! :lol:

I'm not a fan of 300 (never saw the movie) but I get the idea of the shield and I think it's gonna look insane if you pull it off! So I'm in for the long haul! :)

I'm gonna need a couple of "lmao's" from others to belive I'm not insane on that comment! :lol:

9. Shad0whunter

:jawdrop: 140.000 - Yes, kinda makes me feel like "the little guy", but hope I will get near you in time!

P.S: You should watch the movie...with a proper mood probably. Not bad at all...

P.S 2: Thanks for the support again!

10. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I've been here for 5-6 years, and that's probably the reason m8 :)

Hand in there, and just mod! :thumb:

11. Fonne

Fonne What's a Dremel?

Your first mod ? - Nice that you already got sponsorship :thumb:

12. Shad0whunter

First ever mod, yes! I was presented an opportunity and took it! Props to Noctua and ECS for the sponsorship...I hope others will join too :thumb:

13. Shad0whunter

Sponsor parts arrived...

Hello guys!

The sponsor parts were delivered yesterday evening and I just wanted to post some pictures of them first thing after work...

This is the Noctua NH-L12 CPU Cooler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and the rest of the package...

[​IMG]

Motherboard from ECS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both the cooler and MB are great. The color scheme of the MB is really nice, I am sorry for the modest quality of the photos but that's all I can do for now. (Taken with a smartphone)

As of today we have new dosage of epoxide resin (finally...) so new photos are coming soon...

BIG Thank You! to "ECS" and "Noctua" for bringing these to the table...

14. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Looks really cool.
    I am eager to see the project finished :)

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Finally a mod where that board comes to it's rights! :thumb:

Congrats on the sponsors btw... I can't even get an answer back when I try to apply... :lol:

16. Shad0whunter

Yes, I think it'd match the overall color scheme and will look nice! :)

As for the sponsors....don't give up...:nono:

17. Shad0whunter

Hi guys!

It's really hard to find time to work on the project these days. Kinda having a hard time at work...and my university lectures just started today. Enough complaining...

We managed to get our hands on the shield again and we had difficulties making the outer part of it. At first I did found some styrofoam at the basement and we cut it, glued it to the shield, but after applying resin on top of it...it just melted and became like a jelly. Sooo one and a half our went to nothing :D
    Then we came across some cardboard and as you can see on the photos - it looks good. It didn't melt and is quite strong for the purpose. Later we will cut it as it's little wider than we need it to be.

[​IMG]

Some paper tape to keep it together while we apply the resin

[​IMG]

And with one layer of resin...I did cut form the cardboard the actual ornament and just made a photo, it is not glued for now as I want to make it a little shorter and center it more carefully. Also we'll make one more layer of resin at the back and cut the visible fiberglass moustache.

I'll be happy to see some comments if it's starting to look like a shield already. :lol:

Stay tuned for more updates soon... :thumb:

18. Shad0whunter

We bought the needed paint for the job. This is what we could find and I think it is pretty close to the actual color we need. The black paint is for shadows, decorations and for base layer (primer) to help the gold color to be more sheer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut the excess outer parts of the shield today to make it as round as I could, but didn't had the power to move on and apply more resin to the back.

[​IMG]

This is it. Next up is arrows, some damage to the shield and of course paint. But before paint we will be gathering materials for the metal PC stand itself. It is very likely to be gold colored with black screws and fasteners.

Meanwhile I'll try to make a crude sketch of the stand just to show you what is its idea.

Stay tuned guys :)

19. Shad0whunter

Been eager all day to see if someone posted a comment...and what we have is a 2 star rating :D

20. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

This looks something special, but I need to wait more and see what is to come ;)