1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Ten Years On: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 8 Aug 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

Fond memories of this game from way back when, I think it would be a shame to replay it as I would hate to dilute those memories.

Shame the MMORPG doesn't really cut the same kind of mustard. Very right on the Jedi/Lightsabers ruining the games though, Star Wars Galaxies was very good until everyone and his monkey became a Jedi.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I don't see why, exceededgoku. Other than the graphics, the story is still one of the most epic I've seen.

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I never underestimate the importance of graphics, even in a good RPG. Don't get me wrong and graphics are in no way the be-all, end-all of what a game is about, it's not even the most important thing, but it is important non-the-less. There are many, many games that just don't have the same effect once graphics and the relevant interaction moves on.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Theres plenty of games that would sell well if they were remade in HD.

Final Fantasy 7 8 9
    Knights of the old republic
    the jedi knight games
    resident evil 1 2 3
    Command & Conquer + RA and Tib sun
    Homeworld 1 and 2 ( they are been remade )

list goes on and on really

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Possibly my favourite game of all time, glad to hear I'm not the only one who holds it in such high regard :D

7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Can you do a Ten Year Anniversary for Star Trek: Elite Force 2?

It's the only star trek game i've ever enjoyed.

8. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I still have this game and play it on my rather weak works laptop during times of boredom when working away from home (along with half life and 007 Nightfire).

As has been said, the single player game has aged really well, of course there will always be something someone does not like, but overall, this (like the other games in that series) is a game you can keep going back to has earned it's place in history.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

I've just played this one through for the first time about a year ago (as good)
    And am currently slowly playing as evil

Troubled how? Haven't bought that yet, it has gotten a lot cheaper lately.

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

KOTOR 2 was massively buggy on release, and due to the pressure heaped on the developers to get the game out on time, largely unfinished. Chunks of the game were cut out, and the overarching plot simplified to hide the missing content. After playing through hours of generally very good levels, you reach the most tedious final section imaginable and a confrontation that is so poorly explained that most players don't understand why it took place.

Fortunately, there's a mod to fix all of that.

Anybody playing (or reviewing!) KOTOR 2 today should install that mod first. In my opinion it turns one of the most frustrating games I've ever played into one of the very best.

11. SchizoFrog

The unfortunate thing with HD remakes is that they seem to always change not only the graphics but the way the game plays and feels, in short the essence of the game. It's like they get carried away with 'updating' and think they know best and start playing with things they should leave well alone.

As for Star Trek games, I used to enjoy Star Trek Armada II. Not the most in depth game I know but I did play it a lot.

As for reviews after mod additions, I don't think you can ever do a game justice if you do that, for good or ill. Mods are added after the game is released and is the only thing you can be certain that everyone is running the same thing at the same time. Especially when it is all opinion based, what makes the game better for you may not improve it for someone else, even if the majority agrees with you.
    However, if there was to be a 'looking back' style review then there maybe should be a section after the conclusion covering the long term top rated/most installed mods.

12. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Yes Please! :)

My brother has often said that 'when' he wins the lottery [*cough*] he's going to hire a few programmers and get the game brought up to modern spec. Imagine the Red Alert battle maps on giant 4k screens! Oooh, I need to lay down....

13. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

There's only lots of light sabers in the newer films because the Jedi exists - the in later (story later) films the Jedi are practically wiped out... I prefer the new films. I don't like old films the shite GFX ruin it fr me.

14. John_T

John_T Minimodder

True.

BLASPHEMY!!! :)

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I don't remember it being THAT buggy.

It had new features which IMO improved on the first, but it also wasn't as good in other areas.
    Overall I still loved it, and do intend on replaying it with that mod when I can commit the time I want to so I can just live them both :D

16. SchizoFrog

Again, correct about the Jedi being wiped out. That was the main part of the storyline that was just silly. That they were wiped out by armies of droids.

Could not disagree more about the films though. The first 2 of the new 3 are absolutely atrocious. The last one (Episode III) was actually a fairly good film, mainly I think down to it not being as childish as the other two.

The main thing I want though is a DVD collection of the original films (Episodes IV, V and VI) but WITHOUT the added/changed scenes and the stupid pointless graphic additions. I want the original films on DVD... Is so much to ask for Mr. Lucas? Or should I say Disney now?

17. Ljs

Ljs Modder

You flog that horse.

/Yawn.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I would love this. Now Lucas is off the scene I suppose there's a chance that we might see a DVD release of the original cinema edition trilogy, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Perhaps in a few years, to coincide with the 40th anniversary?

19. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

You may hang your head in shame now :p

Seriously though, the storyline in I,II and III is dire in comparison with the original's.

20. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

I really enjoyed both games but i couldn't help feeling let down by the second. As with all things when the first is as revolutionary as the article states anything that follows has to at least equal the former. This would seem too tough a task in this instance.

I really hope that they do a remake or add a third to the series and invest some real time in. In star wars they have a massive resource to draw from and what i would imagine an ever growing fan base with they right people at the wheel you would easily see it as a GOTY.

Tags: Add Tags