1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by aidacuk, 27 Mar 2011.

1. aidacuk

aidacuk What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this, but I'm looking for some advice on whether the below system is worth £600 or not.

I was thinking of attempting to build my own PC for the first time, but then got recommended a guy who will do it for me. Are the below specs worth £600 or could I get it cheaper elsewhere? Would it be worth me getting the parts individually and attempting a build myself (considering I've never attempted a build before)?

AMD Athlon II x4 640 AM3 3GHz Processor
    16GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
    1TB (1000GB) Hard drive
    Asrock N68 GE3 UCC Motherboard
    DVD RW
    Coolermaster Elite 335 Gaming Case
    GeForce GTS 250 Graphics
    Wireless Network Card
    Xigmatek 400W Power Supply
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Any feedback/advice is appreciated :thumb:

Thanks

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

First up, yes the wrong part of the forum, you should have gone with Technology / Hardware rather than feedback on the bit-tech site.

As to whether than rig is worth £600, my recommendation is have a good read of the latest hardware guide to see what you can get for similar money, that setup looks at first glance to be a bit long in the tooth and a bit basic. And do you need 16GB of RAM?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2011/03/10/pc-hardware-buyer-s-guide-march-2011/3

And as to doing your first build, it's scary but not impossible, and if you make mistakes it can be frustrating. Find someone to "hold your hand" during the first build, someone who's done it before and it'll go a lot less stress free.

And use the Hardware forum for build advice and component selection, you'll get dozens of responses!

3. aidacuk

aidacuk What's a Dremel?

OK thanks Guinevere, I'll re-post in that section and have a look around.