1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Free Alternative to Sharepoint

Discussion in 'Software' started by davidbrown1988, 10 Jun 2015.

1. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

Hi All,

I'm hoping one of you might have some knowledge and / or experience on non-windows document management systems.

I'm working with a small startup at the moment and their previous industry experience has focused largely on sharepoint. To cut a long story short I know sharepoint works fine for what they need and I have already designed perfect prototypes in it, but being a small startup they can't fork out the cash for the setup. Sharepoint foundation is fine (and free), I'm talking about the £300 for a Server 2012 R2 essentials license.

So I'm looking for something Linux based which will hopefully have a lighter footprint on the hardware aswell, although this isn't too important.

This screenshot is something similar to what they would want (ps this isn't my design :D):
    [​IMG]

Really what they are after is:
    1. Documents and folders to be hosted centrally.
    2. Check out / check in. Avoids multiple users modifying files. Version history ideally.
    3. Access limitations. No one should be able to remove core folders such as top tier folders e.g. Directors, Managers, Staff (In green box). The core folders directly in these folders as well should not removable / editable, I'll call these 2nd tier (in red box).
    4. All Users should be able to create folders & files inside the 2nd tier folders (3rd tier).
    5. Directors will have access to all core folders (Directors, managers, staff).
    6. Managers will have access to core folders (managers, staff)
    7. Staff will have access to core folders (staff)
    8. The interface needs to be idiot proof. Clear to non-tech-savy windows users.
    9. Some areas of the system need to allow a document to be uploaded and never modified except by an admin.

I have a ubuntu server in a VM for trying stuff out. So any good recommends for something like the above requirements and screenshot setup I'm willing to try.

So far I've tried:

• Alfresco

• Plone

• OpenDocMan

• LogicalDoc - Attempted

• Joomla

• owncloud

• Mayan DMS

• Looked briefly into goolgedocs, but didn't find much in the way of complex user permissions.

• Word Press, again didn't seem to have complex enough permissions.
    .... and others I've forgotten the name of.

I've ruled out dozens of other apps based on the front end from screens for user functionality.

Considered drupal, but again it appears to be lacking from the DMS side of things.

I got logicaldoc installed but it wouldn't accept what I was told the default password would be.

The best luck I had was with opendocman but I need the end user to be able to create subfolders. Something I couldn't see how to do.

I also really liked Mayan EDMS, but again got tripped up on the permissions.

Krystal DMS looks nice as well, but it doesn't appear from the screenshots to support subfolders.

Any suggestions for free linux software that will do the same as the requirments / screenshot above? Willing to retry those I've already used if I've just overlooked something.

Thanks a lot,

David

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Have you had a look at:

http://www.resourcespace.org/

We were specifically looking for a DAM solution over DMS. Product looked pretty good, we got a simple PoC up but then I left so no idea if it went any further.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You tried the old Alfresco interface or the new Alfresco Share interface ?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Use Office 365 and let them pay for it monthly? It's a lot easier for startups to budget on a monthly basis and it gives you the product you want

RichCreedy likes this.