1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Need for Speed (2015) PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Vault-Tec, 19 Mar 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wow this one has been released quietly ! I've only been able to find one review. Any way I pre ordered this a couple of months back for £22. I wasn't prepared to risk the full EA £50 for a game that reviewed quite poorly for the PS4.

First note - this game does not work with Crossfire yet. AMD have released a performance driver for it, but even though it enables Crossfire for "AFR Friendly" it is far from working. I decided to play it on my 1080p rig with a Titan Black instead and it runs beautifully.

As for the game? I really thought I was going to hate it. From the reviews and so on it didn't sound very good at all. I can gladly say, however, that the game is actually quite brilliant. If you were a fan (and even around in those days) of the original Underground games then there is no reason why you should not love this one. It's fun, races are good and the graphics are really rather lovely. The customisation is cool too, here is my "Puke Wagon".

[​IMG]

It's as maxed as it can be really. The only issue is that it's front wheel drive, so drifts like a dog. You can "pseudo drift it" but not good enough to score decent points. So I left all of the drift races and raced circuits and sprints to save up for this.

[​IMG]

And I have around £20k left in the coffers to "poke the porker".

2. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

now that looks awesome. once its under 20 quid ill buy it i loved hot pursuit

3. Vault-Tec

It's really good. So far I have managed to avoid most of the cop chases because I really don't like them. And it's been OK so far. I prefer the racing, rather than the cop chases.

The story is a bit stupid (but then it wasn't much better in Underground 2 it just had better actors) and obviously there's no Snoop Dogg original songs (I loved the Riders on the storm song in NFSUII) but the actual racing and car modding is fantastic.

I played it all day yesterday, completely forgetting what time it was. I can't remember doing that for ages. I would say that the last time a game hooked me like that was FO4, but it became a chore.

I like this so much that I ended up repeating a few races just to make the money to buy a drift car. That's incredibly high praise tbh. I've bought so many games lately for £25 and never even played them so I was delighted to find this.

4. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

im glad to hear that mate. I really wanted another good nfs. Unlike the sough of crap we have gotten in recent years.

Simcity i think was the last game i lost track of time with lol.

But i an looking forward to payday. This is high on my list of wants

5. rollo

rollo Modder

This is not a good NFS is the problem. You basically repeat the same style of race in different parts of the city over and over again.

Once you save up for one of the better cars you dominate every race from start to finish.

This is also perm online for those that care about that sort of thing.

6. Vault-Tec

The online thing is annoying. I also agree with the one review I have read, raking through the parts to find out which ones are available is a pain.

But I find the racing itself fun. And yeah, it is a little easy (which is perfect for me, I'm crap at games now) but I quite like that. It at least allows me to play and see all of the game, instead of becoming unfairly difficult like the last one. I was doing really well and enjoying the last one, then it gave me a stupid cop chase where I could spend an hour racking up points and money only to lose the lot when I got caught.

Had they left the cops out of this one I would like it even more. It just doesn't work. Thankfully I have managed to avoid that and have just been racing :)

7. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

i used to love the cop getaways. Loved it in .... i wanna say carbon could be well off there, but used to do it for fun sometimes

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Cops are not really a factor in the latest game, You have to ram a police depot before they will come after you. I have driven around the highway at 200+ for a while and never been picked up by police.

9. Vault-Tec

I've been chased a couple of times for speeding but yeah, you can avoid them if you want to (and I do, I've never liked the chase mechanics).

This latest game really is subjective but I absolutely love it. It's the closest thing to NFSU 3 with 60 FPS+ that I think we are ever going to get so I am just going to enjoy it whilst I can.

The last one (Rivals) was OK for a while (barring the 30 FPS) but then the cop chases became the game and I don't like them. So that was it for me after about ten hours.

The Run? I actually enjoyed all four hours of it. I thought the story was good and it looked nice too.

The problem with the chases for me has always been the AI. In Most Wanted I could be doing over 200MPH only to be chased down and rammed by an SUV. I must admit though I did quite like the chases in Most Wanted, but I definitely preferred the underground series (all two of them) for the racing and modding etc.

Poo Street (Pro Street) was a fine game and lots of fun but the handling was like, welded lol.

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Well payday cant come quick enought havent had a decent racer in a while

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im VERY tempted on picking this up but the asking price is ludicrous

12. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

agreed , 20 ish yes over 30 no

13. Vault-Tec

It's worth up to £30 I would say. It's a really good game tbh I am truly surprised.

I've put in about twenty hours now. I've still managed to pretty much avoid the police and am now at the point where even when they do join in they're soon lost. All I have to do is get my porker out on a long open road and hit the gas button. Soon doing 200MPH. Bye !

So the game has circuit (self explanatory) drift (think GRID drifting, it's dead good !) sprint (self explanatory) and something akin to Street X where you race around a tiny bendy little circuit trying to score good lap times.

The only thing that's really missing from Underground II is the drag. And that's a real shame, because drag was absolutely awesome (god that used to get my adrenaline going !)

But other than that? it's absolutely fantastic really. There are a few flaws here and there but they're easily forgotten about. It's visually stunning too, something it hasn't gotten enough praise for IMO.

Yesterday I pretty much played it all day. I then did what I usually do and shut all of my PCs down at 5pm. However, last night I did something I haven't done in absolutely ages, and that was return to the PC at 9pm when the TV was crap and played it until gone midnight. I never, ever do that any more.

If you liked the Underground games this is the closest thing I feel you are ever going to get to a full on NFSU III. It's not quite there, mind, but it's the best game in the series since Underground II.

14. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

im glad it makes you feel like underground. Its what ive been wanting what i think we all have been wanting for a long long time.

I think ill defo be buying it. Might even have some pennies before payday.

15. Vault-Tec

You really shouldn't regret it tbh. It's easily one of the best looking games I've ever played. I love how I can just cruise around looking for races etc.

Couple more pics. Here is my porker now.

[​IMG]

And some scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though I am playing this at 1080p I actually forget sometimes. It's just so gorgeous.

16. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

I played this during the Origin Access trial, having preordered it months ago, and had got bored of waiting. And I'm glad I did, because it allowed me to cancel it before it cost me too much.

I got to 93% of the campaign done in the 10 hour trial, and that was including the few hours spent piddling about in the garage. The always on network crap is incredibly annoying, especially as it seemed to absolutely wallop my internet (22mb d/1.2mb u).

The biggest thing that bugs me? Being in a race against AI, and then someone not in the race (another actual person) crashing into me, destroying any progress. That is a game killer IMO. If it was AI, I could sort of understand, but another player? Sod that. I always liked NFS for SINGLE player, I never liked the MP, so being forced to have both at the same time, is an absolute no go for me. I won't be buying this again until its hit bargain bin pricing.

17. Vault-Tec

Yeah that is annoying however to be fair NFSU II would do exactly the same thing, all be it with AI rather than another live player. I would do a 15 minute race, be leading the entire sodding thing and then on the very last corner of the very last lap there would just so happen to be a box van sideways totally out of view so practically impossible to dodge.

As I've said there are bits of this I don't like (like how when you want to restart a race after missing a turn within ten seconds and then having to completely exit the race, have to click on it again before a long load process) as well as not having a clue which upgrades are available without having to trudge through every single one to see what you can have and so on and so forth.

However, even with all of its flaws I firmly believe this is the closest thing we will ever get to NFSU III (because EA clearly don't listen to, nor care about their players) so I will take it.

18. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Your 100 percent right mate. EA simply do not listen. Nfs is no exceptions, they seem to fudge most games there in charge of now.

Well the ones u want badly, star wars, nfs and battlefield for me, but last few in each series has bee pathetic. (Liked force unleashed tho)

19. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

I was contemplating getting this game until I saw a review that stated transmission is automatic only. I would much prefer having control over my own gear selection, thanks...

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

manual transmission was patched in by request.