1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 3 Mar 2017.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Last edited: 3 Mar 2017
  2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

It's a masterpiece.

It's marred slightly by the Weak Hardware, on the Wii U and Switch both dipping down to the teens in frames in villages and big fights.

It's an amazing game, especially for a Zelda fan. I've played every single one, including gameboy games and obscure CD-I games. This is the best one since Link to the Past, and that's saying something. It's free, but not empty. It's basic and approachable but it has substance. The crafting system does what you need without feeling overly complicated, and the addition of weapons you can both break and upgrade makes it feel like you're surviving in the open world. All Weapons break (not sure about the end-game swords, i'm not even close to there yet) and you have upgradable items.

You have shrines with are small logic puzzles to get orbs, 4 gets you an extra health heart or stamina upgrade. It feels like each one you do actually means something.

It's a 10/10 and any fan or either Nintendo, Zelda or even Open World games should play it.

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Thinking of going for it. But i miss the old 8/16 bit zeldas loved the orcarina of time but dont think past 2 games had much on the old games.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

We just got a Switch today, and although I'm not familiar with any Zelda games, it looks pretty good so far. :D

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Looks like we need a new "Switch" tag for this forum... just sayin' :D

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

8. Hex

Hey I'm still waiting on the Multi platform tag I asked for 5yrs ago! :p

Maybe with the new forums...

9. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

This game is just glorious. It's mesmerising, spellbinding and majestic.

It's given me my latest man-crush. Link is completely irresistible as an adventurer in this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Provided you have capacity for games without guns or cars or 4k VR graphics, this game is the epitomy of 'must-play'.

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

This is frustrating. I was hoping to not have to buy a Switch, but if Breath of the Wild is that good I'm not sure I'll be able to stop myself.

11. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

The real danger is, once you've got it, will you be able to stop playing it? Received mine Friday afternoon and have done about 20 minutes' work since.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Could get the Wii U version? You lose a bit of rendering resolution (900p docked vs. 720p) but other than that they are extremely similar in performance. Can be had for ~£140 used, half the price and in easier supply than the Switch.

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Playing this on my new switch and as others have said, its fantastic.

The game leaves you to work out a lot of things for yourself - working out how to get to all of the Shrines on the plateau involved some thinking and trial and error, but when I finally got there it felt great!

I've played Ocarina of Time on the N64 and both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword on the Wii, this seems more epic and certainly more addictive to play. Hopefully it will be just as awesome as I continue to play it. :)

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Is it really though, or is it just Zelda?

I used to love Zelda games, but I've found the last few iterations just more tired content following the same formula. I really want to believe that this is different, but there's so much hyperbole surrounding anything Zelda it's difficult to tell...

Anyone fancy playing devil's advocate?

15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've got the Wii U version and as far as i've seen, the quality isn't much different. I can only see differences in things like lighting in dungeons when I compare from online images. Performance is pretty decent, only dips in villages really.

It is a new formula whilst still retaining the Zelda charm. That is why it is like a Renaissance. It is hard when it's a Zelda game though, as people hold them as such Sacred games. I didn't like Skyward Sword. The world was so empty. I've played every game, every single one. Including the CD-I games, so I've got quite the opinion when it comes to these games.

It's an open world, but you still have the mythos you expect from a Zelda game, as well as the same Core features. There's just MORE. There's real quests and side quests, and you really can do it in any order you like. There's optional bosses, breakable weapons and the world is both enormous and well designed. I feared it would be an empty world, but it's filled to the brim with dungeons, towers, shrines, moblin camps, enemy encampments, villages, and much more.

The plot is more involved too. It's not just "Go save the princess and Defeat Ganon"; that is still the case, but the plot is much more elaborate and your character actually develops instead of being dull, soulless Link.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2017
  16. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

I seriously want to get this game now! Unfortunately, the Switch's sold out in my area.:( I have to wait for another two months for the restock!

17. Hex

My friend's been streaming it and while he loves it, he keeps saying it doesn't feel like a Zelda game. It's an awesome game with LoZ characters in it. So if you put it that way, yes it still is a very awesome game and it's not just getting good reviews because it's a Zelda game ;)

Also, he's playing on the Wii U and having no issues, so if you want a cheaper/easier way to play it than getting a Switch that could be the way to go!

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That sounds like it would actually work for me - I think my issues with the last several games is that half way through I'm just kind of... 'meh'. It feels like they're basically al lthe same game, just with a different twist in each. I've not played one through to the end since Windwaker.

Every time I have a hankering for Zelda, I fire up LTTP and play it through. That never gets old.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

One or two have likened it to a very good Ubisoft open world title, towers inluded, which means it is probably quite different to Zeldas of the past.

Is it something that would capture the imagination of an 8 yr old I wonder, reckon I could get this by the missus for my daughter *cough* me :D

Last edited: 6 Mar 2017
  20. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Anyone found the Monster Shop owner yet? He sells some interesting armour.. ;)