1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils Mantle, a new high-speed gaming API

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 26 Sep 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Yay! It's 3DFX Glide Vs. PowerVR all over again. *sigh*. Or, alternatively:
    [​IMG]

3. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

so will mantle work on linux?

this way we could see A++ games on linux and also, Steam OS!

and then we could all ditch windows.
    and grow really long beards.

4. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Strokes beard in contemplative manner.

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I never could grow a beard. It always got to about 1/2" and then drove me nuts.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Sounds good maybe this is what the pc needs for the next gen for smooth well running games rather than just throwing MORE POWER at it.

I remember this from the alan wake developer

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

AMD looks dead set on becoming the gamer's choice again over Nvidia/Intel. If the performance boost really is that great we're looking at a major advantage in pretty much all of EA's future titles. Apparently they've also optimized BF4 to take full advantage of their 8 cire CPUs. Going the api/partnership route to advancing their enthusiast level performance gap on the CPU side is actually really smart. I think they know they aren't going to beat Intel with brute cpu force any time soon and it's fairly forward looking, to bet on a much more threaded future in terms of general computing and especially gaming.

8. AlienwareAndy

TBH I'm tired of smashing my head on a brick wall when it comes to this stuff, so I will just post this, and slowly walk away whilst whistling quietly.

[​IMG]

It's been a long time coming.....

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Huge, huge news they got their API into BF4. Massive AMD win there.

I wonder what Sony's contract with MS is over DirectX on PS4 and if they'll be pushing a switch to Mantle?

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Why cant we just push OpenGL development?

11. Neogumbercules

See, what sucks now is that I'm back to considering AMD for my next build but I'm still squarely stuck on wanting to build now vs wanting to wait for Steamroller and wanting to use my ITX case but not having any AM3+ ITX mobos.

Price wise, I'm looking at about $600 for my Haswell build vs $450 for the Piledriver build. A pretty decent price difference but something inside of me cringes at buying year old AMD stuff. If the performance really is much better in BF4 (which is what I will most likely be spending most of my gaming time on) then maybe I will go for it.

But then my whole ROG themed Bit Fenix Prodigy mod idea goes out the window... then again, if I clock the balls off of the Piledriver chip, all of the 3D rendering I've been doing lately will be a whole hell of a lot faster. 8-core Piledriver at 5Ghz vs my 3.2ghz llano APU...

Maybe I'll just split the difference and wait for the Prodigy M.

12. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I am sensing a strong presence of win from AMD. This could very well put some oomph back into AMD's red fists of fury.

13. AlienwareAndy

I had a choice yesterday of sticking with AMD or going Intel. Here's what happened....

[​IMG]

I actually had the chance to ditch AMD and make a return to Intel.

TBH? I really, truly, don't give a crap what people say about the PD CPUs. I can only speak from experience of running one since May and it's been a bloody fantastic CPU to have.

There were early signs. Basically BF3, Tomb Raider (and anything else with AMD Gaming Evolved ! slapped on it) utterly demolished my old Sandybridge chip. Crysis 3? well it and Far Cry 3 were a showcase of what was to come.

As they say - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Give it time and it'll all become crushingly clear.

990FX may well be long in the tooth but Intel weren't even going to bother with SATA III for Sandybridge. Nothing has changed, nothing has moved on. With a good 990 board you get 8x SATA III etc etc all for a lot less than the Intel counterpart.

I'm really looking forward to putting the 8+2+2 power stages to good use. I'm going to clock the absolute balls out of the CPU :D

14. Neogumbercules

Looks like we can be build-buddies, but I went the other way :D

[​IMG]

It really came down to the ITX issue. I was willing to sacrifice the ROG board. If I could have gotten an 8320 in the ITX format, I would have. If I went for the ATX or M-ATX solution I would have ended up having to buy a new case since I'm passing on my Fractal to my dad for his B-day next month, along with some old parts I'm gonna throw something together for him.

I could have waited for the Bit-Fenix Prodigy M, but I already own a Bit-Fenix Prodigy, and buying a new case would have eliminated any savings I would have made going with AMD in the first place.

Overall, I know neither of us will be unhappy with our purchases! I plan on de-lidding that chip and hitting it with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro. Users have seen 30c drops doing this, so I'm gonna give it a try, then aim for a 4.8 OC :thumb:

OH! And AMDs new cards will match the ROG Red/Black color scheme perfectly :naughty:

The good news, from what I can gather, is that the Mantle API will improve CPU efficiency across the board by reducing the load the graphics engine puts on the CPU. That is brand agnostic, so even if I don't get the full Frostbite 3 8 core experience, I'm sure it'll still run like a monster on an OC'd 4670k.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2013
  15. Bonedoctor

Bonedoctor Have you turned it off & on again?

$$$ ?

16. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Companies have no control over OpenGL, while Microsoft has sole control over DirectX.

It's clear AMD is distancing itself from Microsoft. I haven't read up on Mantle enough but I assume although it's cross platform, it's only supported on AMD GPUs. Either way the advantage, as with OpenGL, is Microsoft is out of the equation, and games can use the latest graphics regardless of what Microsoft tries to force people to upgrade to.

17. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I sure they said that Mantle would be available for any gpu, but the gpu needs the correct thing in the hardware to take advantage. So older amd/ati cards won't support it and none of the current nvidia stuff will support it.

Also the impression I got from watching the presentation was that it was a guy at dice that had been pushing for the new api and it was amd who listened and implemented it.

18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

19. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Sorry triple post :p

20. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

Dunna worry I'm sure anyone would accidentally triple post if Rimmer was bugging them... :p

Tags: Add Tags