1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Help please advice needed but non biased

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kovoet, 12 Oct 2013.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Right as some of you who know I am a red fan. I have the money for a brand new 780 even maybe a titan. Do I get one of these but a evga brand because of the warranty or do I go the new 290x route.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I didn't think the 290x was out yet? Makes it an impossible question to answer since performance isn't known yet.

Why are you upgrading in any case? Purely to have the best card? Surely your previous 7970(s?) weren't struggling unless you play games at a very high res?

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Wanting to go 3 screens. My problem is I am the most impatient a....e you will ever meet. But I want to buy a gfx card that will last me now for a year or so. and yes I have a hole in my pocket lol.

All the talk of the 290 got me happy

4. suragh

suragh Derp

If It was me who wanted to upgrade, I would stick with the current card until reviews/benchmarks etc for the 290x's start arriving.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Tbh the Titan is a waste of money either get a 780 or wait and see what the new AMD one is like

6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

This

7. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Three screen gaming on AMD still sucks. It still has runt and dropped frame issues. Whether or not they will fix it for the 290x? remains to be seen.

But buying an Nvidia card now is a huge gamble and one I would bet will not pay off. Wait for the AMD, then wait for the price cuts on Nvidia if you want to go the green team.

Personally I'm sticking with Nvidia for as long as I can, but I have a feeling Mantle will change that. I do shudder to think of using AMD drivers though :D

8. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

Speaking as someone with a heavily overclocked 6950 on my desktop and a 675m in my laptop I've notice no difference in drivers. BF4 has been working equally well on both.

I can't give a comparison for three screens since the laptop only has one but the few games that do support it such as Batman, Bioshock, Battlefield (Apparently I only play games beginning with B) have all played nicely on the 6950.

I'm waiting for 290 reviews at the moment and wondering what the real difference between 290 and 290x is, for instance can we unlock those remaining steam processors?

9. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I read somewhere that the 280x and the 7970 are compatible in crossfire so that might be another option.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

No single card can really hack multi screen gaming in the latest titles at max settings if thats your aim.

not really sure id be upgrading 2 7970s to 1 290x either. As the 2 7970s are likely alot faster when the drivers are up to scratch.

Its like upgrading 2 680s to 1 titan you only gain when the drivers suck.