1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics This is Bad... (New Pics 26/01/04)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ////\oo/\\\\, 23 Jan 2004.

1. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

I was installing my new 9800 pro last night when I saw this:

[​IMG]

The little heatsink is loose and looking under it, it looks like it has taken the top of the chip with it :waah:

I got it OEM from newegg.com when I was in the US at christmas, so I can't return it to them :( So that means I can either try and RMA it direct to Sapphire or try and thermal epoxy it...

I told my dad he shouldn't have squeezed that extra stuff into my suitcase :grr:

I think I am going to have to RMA it unfortunately and I have no spare graphics card :waah: as this is my first PC (changing from a Mac)

EDIT: Picture re-hosted by Malfoleo :clap:

EDIT: New Pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Jan 2004
  2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

The picture doesn't work..... Does the card still work?

3. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Thats what I get. Anyway, e-mail me the picture and I'll host it for ya: malfoleo (at) shaw.ca

I want to see what this looks like.

5. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Strange it is the first pic I have uploaded to them, about 30 min ago!!!

Anyway sent the eMail, thanks Malfoleo :thumb:

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

[​IMG]

And hey, no prob about hosting it, no worries about bandwidth ever getting used up (unless somebodys figured out how to use up unlimited).

Anyway, I would have to say try to RMA it, just pass it off like you "missplaced" the receipt, as it looks potentialy fatal. May I ask how this happened?

////\oo/\\\\ likes this.
  7. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Think it was my dad squishing extra stuff into my suitcase... Being OEM it was only wrapped in bubble wrap and my dad did really squish stuff in...

I told him not to :grr:

We had a lot of stuff to bring back :naughty:

I have the reciept, it's just that it is in my sisters name at her US address...

8. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Get her to RMA it for you? People in the States seem to be good at that sort of thing ;)

9. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

I'll try it myself first, getting my sis to do it may be more hassle than it is worth...

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

cant really see. If contacts have been broken you mebbe just be able to push it back on and hold the heatsink down with something..!? Try it, if it pops then send it back.

Had a look on mine, it mebbe todo with voltage reg, the chip aint that hot but i have quite a bit of airflow in my case.

11. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

Tried that, it was definitely glued on, there is a white layer under the heatsink that must be the glue and then what looks like the very top layer of the chip stuck to that, it is as if the chip has cracked in half :eeek:

I'll see if I can get some better pictures when I get home tonight...

12. micb

micb Minimodder

Quite frankly, if it was fine card when you recieved it and your dad broke it, then unfortunatly it is his fault.

You can try explaning to Sapphire and see what they say, they may be able to do something.

13. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

micb, I am not sure, it could have happened in transit from newegg.com, or while they were packing it, or it could have been like that when it arrived at newegg.com...

14. micb

micb Minimodder

Well if it is unsure how than Yes try and RMA it or get it fixed.

Some places have 14 day return periods, I would check with newegg and see what there policys are like.

Good Luck.

15. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Umm, probably a stupid question but have you actually tried it yet?

Then you will know if it is a problem or not.

16. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

No, not yet, but I have got some new pictures, which I am trying to upload (uploadit.org is still playing silly buggers), which if you see you will agree it is definitely knackered, I am worried if I run it I will blow something else up too...

Newegg.com have agreed to RMA yet but my sis will have to send it on, still not to bad, just with the waiting, might have to get myself a chepo card just to get the comp set up and wait for the 9800 Pro to play the games...

Last edited: 23 Jan 2004
  17. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

New clearer pics added :thumb:

It's on its way back to America now for RMA...

18. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

From the new pics it does look fudged :duh:

////\oo/\\\\ likes this.
  19. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Three things:

1) Bad luck man. Reminds me of when I bought nice new digital camera in Tennerife and put it in my suitcase. Parents dropped it and although it still works, it cracked the LCD. :waah: Coudn't return it, as the warranty stated that the camera had to be returned to country of purchase... and I forgot the address of the shop that sold it. :wallbash: Amazingly, the crack doesn't run all the way through the glass, so the screen still works, but I've had to be really careful with it - one small knock and the screen will probably go.

2) Extra bad luck. Normally I find the opposite problem with heatsinks, that is they are not glued on well enough. I'm really suprised that the heatsink was that well attached.

3) A possible solution to the problem: I know it's wrong, but if you tack it back with a dot of superglue, you could probably send it back and no one would notice why it's dead. That's what I'd try, anyway! (Wanders off whistling innocently :rolleyes:)

20. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

living up to your nick there!

But seeing as you have already RMA'd it, good luck with the return!

Tags: