1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT is exclusive Onlive supplier in UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The pricing model is still going to be a sticking point imo, service subscription, game rental, and BB is just too many things to pay for.

On the plus side with BT having a stake in the company does that mean they might start pulling their fingers out and give decent BB speeds to everybody!!

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I have doubts over how this is going to work with the antiquated broadband infrastructure in the UK. I guess we'll see.

4. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

This might have worked well on Virgin's cable service, which tends to deliver consistently high speeds, but on BT? Let's just say I'm not thrilled about being an early adopter.

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Well OnLive will be able to thank BT for the commercial failure in the UK.

Not a hope in hell that BT's connections will be upto the job.

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Bt will limit all players and class them as high usage users lol

Fair usage policy's are criminal.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wait - does that mean you have a to have a BT broadband account to get Onlive then? Not "if I buy Onlive it'll be through BTs servers and I just pay BT?"

Fail in 3.. 2.. 1..

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Well that's that up sh!t creek then!

9. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

i thought a major feature of onlive was that it used all broadband suppliers to find the fastest route in order to reduce lag.

10. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

BT can dress up their connections as much as they like but a company that watches, throttles and filters their connections as much as they do I'm staying as far as is possible away from.

...Not that i was ever going to go with OnLive to be perfectly honest.

11. blood69

blood69 What's a Dremel?

I am going be an old guy when onLive hits Portugal, they have that agreement with the ISPs to interchange TCP/IP information between gateways to acheeve a constant fast connection with their servers. I think they will have a hard time trying an agreement here.

12. alick

alick What's a Dremel?

do u get eney thing for ur $15 subscription shorly u must get heeps of small indi games and stuff uther wise it be like paying 15$ a muth for steam or for sky but having to pay extr for evry thing not just new moves

13. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

From the price point of few.. lets say you spend £500 more on a gaming PC rather than a PC good enough for onlive. £500/£15 = about 33 months. Can you honestly say your gaming hardware is going to last that long?

How this pans out will depend on game pricing, integrity and availability of the service.
    Can you access your steam games via it?
    How well will it stand up to 4 players on a home network? 12 players? an i-series? :p
    And with BT in mind, will it get effected by the network management policies that kick in at about 17:00 to 01:00?

14. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

You'll be able to play poker and backgammon but I can't imagine we'll see a demanding game for many years. Also none of the main ISPs would be too happy with peak-time gaming with OnLive ...

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I thought the idea of OnLive was that the games would run on just about any PC, including netbooks and the like. All it needs to be able to do (in theory) is connect to a high speed internet.

And yeah, BT = FAIL

16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Your forgetting that you have to 'rent' the games aswell.

Im not 100% sure how the games will be kept but even if they charge £1 per game per month
    and you play 5-10 different games in a month you'd be adding £5-£10 to your monthly bill.

I can see it costing almost what sky costs per month tbh, not only that but at least after 33 months you'd have a computer thats still useful, Will onlive last nearly 3 years? i doubt it.

17. Paddy

Paddy What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know how the US Beta is progressing? Is the system proving to be feasible for the majority or only those sitting next to their exchange?

I think the idea is promising, but as mentioned earlier the subscription, game cost & poor uk internet infrastructure will make it make it difficult to succeed. But I'm watching this space to see how it does progress.

18. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I can see BT charging a fortune for this then lowering the speed and usage of anyone on lower packets. Thees no way the UK can handle the traffic either if this takes off.As much as I want this to work and love the inovation in their data transmission, they're still up against it. The biggest problem is gonna be cost and it looks like cloud gaming could flop at that hurdle even if they clear the crappy broadband speeds here.

They set up beta testing in a small area of America a few months ago, anyone know how that went?

19. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

Oh dear god ...

Say hello to worst customer service in existence.

20. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

Hmm also what about MMO's?

I'm sure there is a market for people who can only take a netbook on holiday and don't want to miss there WoW fix. :p

Tags: Add Tags