1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anti-Aliasing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Frohicky1, 10 Feb 2010.

1. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Hi all,

I've installed and been playing Bioshock 2 (and obviously found it amazing), but the antialiasing is a bit poor. I noticed the exact same thing with Dead Space, but no other games. I've tried

16x Box AA
    24x Narrow Tent AA
    24x Edge Detect AA
    32x Wide Tent AA

It doesn't look bad, but it could look better - Oblivion, or Crysis, for example, have not a jagged edge in sigh at much lower levels of AA.

Anyone else noticed this? Any ideas of how to get around? Just my GFX?

Thanks

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I haven't got around to playing Bioshock 2 yet but I found that in Dead Space you couldn't force better anti-aliasing through the drivers. Nor for that matter can you force anti aliasing in Mass Effect 2.

This being with Nvidia cards anyway.

3. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I think Crysis softens certain edges (such as vegetation) even without any AA being enabled. I don't know if Oblivion does anything of the sort, but it might be why you notice the difference between games?

4. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Unsharp textures and lack of AA annoy me as well. Consoles holding back PC games, sadly something we have to live with.

5. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

It's the Unreal engine. Bioshock 1 didn't do a great job of AA either.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I found this problem with STALKER - CS too - I slapped 16x MSAA on there and it looked absolutely identical to 0x. Even the control panel in-game didn't do any good.

7. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Another game that uses Deferred Shading...

8. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

i didn't think bioshock used anti-aliasing, the first one didn't.

Some games don't, batman for example had in game Anti-alising specially put in by nvidia.

I could force in anti-alising on the first bioshock, but i don't know if it's possible with bioshock 2.

Maybe if you can't force it at the moment then nvidia might make it possible with new drivers.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It's the UE3 engine. For a long, long time it didn't support AA because it used multiple render targets, IIRC. There's now a few ways to force it through drivers, but it's often a bit of hassle.

10. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

One of the biggest annoyances on the PC platform of late really IMHO...

Just to make things even better:
    1-some game don't have AA unless you force it in the driver
    2-some games disable AA IF you force it in the driver
    3-games from points 1&2 require different combinations of graphics driver settings being enabled or disabled to work
    3-some games just don't support AA at all.

points 1-3 need much faffing around with graphics driver profiles to make sure it's forced on in some games but not others :duh:

11. Frohicky1

I agree, it's a major annoyance. AA is old, it's standard, it's a given. Not having AA working properly in Bioshock is like going to a £200 per head restaurant and finding the that the sauces, the salad, the presentation, the potatoes are all fantastic, but the chef forgot to cook the meat . . . again.

12. Frohicky1

Damn, having trawled the net it looks like it can't run AA with DX10 (in particular I'm guessing it's ambient occlusion mapping that's the problem, same as in Crysis). Sigh. Wish they'd put that on the box.

13. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I love great graphics and the UE3 engine is certainly capable of that, but i do hate jaggies even at high res they are an eyesore.

Fermi has 32xAA, but please make the games support it !!

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you guys can fix that with nvidia cards.. it's fsaa compatibility

they just have to write it into the game profile.. who knows why they don't other than it messes with the control panel and will get nuked if you apply something new

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=157394

or you can just rename the masseffect2.exe to ut3.exe and adjust it in the control panel

ati can force aa with a hotfix.. not sure what's going on the the aa in these games, really weird- they obviously know about it- maybe a way for them to try and sell new cards.. get their 200 series owners thinking aa not possible without fermi rofl or something.. I'm upgrading to ati tired of these games they play

15. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

If it uses Unreal Engine 3 then thats your answer! I heard it uses a modified UE 2.5 though, not sure. Also ATI cards have problem in this area as well!!

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The UE3 engine, it pretty much ****s with AA.

With that said, try forcing it via control panel, and use 0xAA in game.

Worked for me in ME.

17. Frohicky1

Tbh the textures and post-processing are poor in BioScock 2, I seem to remember the first being better. Consolification - rolling back every hardware advance in the last five years and asking you to pay for it.

18. Frohicky1

There's no AA option in BS2, but I've just disabled DX10 surfaces and the AA is looooooads better, so it must be the old AA vs Specular Mapping thing. Still not amazing AA, but loads better.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yes to all of those. 2 is my most common headache. Oblivion is an absolute ball-ache to try and get AA & AF in, it seems to just do a diceroll every time you launch as to whether it'll enforce them or not.

20. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Use nHancer, if you have the steam version of Bioshock 2 or Mass Effect 2 make sure to create a new profile point it at the .exe in the binaries folder inside the steam Bioshock 2 or Mass Effect 2 folder, select the amount of AA you want to force and then click the right tab that's labeled compatibility, select "080100C5: Unreal Engine 3" and your set. Save the profile then just keep nHancer running in the background.

On my i5 750, gtx 260 216, and 4gb of ram computer I can keep it at 8x aa and 16xaf and not get too much of a performance drop in Mass Effect 2 or Bioshock 2. There are many different compatibility modes you can play around with and eventually get most UE3 games working with AA.