1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Grim Dawn

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bede, 16 May 2012.

1. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I know this is Diablo 3 time, which will then seamlessly segue into Torchlight 2, but please give this a look. I'm completely bored of Kickstarter, and the numpties who seem to spend their whole time giving their money away with utterly unrealistic expectations, but this is the exception for me - I'm really quite excited by Grim Dawn :)

Arthur Bruno is the lead on this (gameplay designer from Titan Quest) and tbh he's completely sucked me in! Articles he's written like this and this show a man with an incredibly deep love and understanding of ARPGs. Blizzard approached him and offered him the lead gameplay design for Diablo 3, to give you an idea of the respect he has within the industry.

In my eyes this project takes the best elements from Titan Quest (the skill system) and Diablo 2 (the mood). From what I've seen so far, if you liked Diablo or Torchlight, you'll like this.

There are only a couple of days left on the Kickstarter and I'd really love to see this game get the recognition it deserves. Pre-order it here!

Here's a recent video of one of the classes in action:

azrael- likes this.
  2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The game's been on my radar for quite a while and I've been meaning to support it for almost as long, but never got around to it. But now I've finally signed up for it via Kickstarter. :thumb:

I like TQ quite a bit more than Diablo, though. Considering I own several copies...

Bede likes this.
  3. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

I put money down for it. The game is a visual feast and its still in development!

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Via Kickstarter or their own funding page?

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I've already backed this project. My preorder for Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 at the moment have given me a real urge to swing into action RPGs.

6. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Via kickstarter. Go plonk some money down for it now. Today is the last day!

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

That's what I did yesterday... :p

But anyone else should feel free to do so.

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Final day of the KS, I'm glad we're getting more of the stretch goals now :)

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

We just need to raise another $53.000 or so to get the really good stuff. That's pocket money ...for some.

On a side note I'd really love the new environment (was unlocked at $400.000) to look like the Chinese area of TQ or the Greek one. Those have to be my favourites.

On another side note it's amazing how good the pre-alpha already looks. Some companies would ship this as the final game.

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  10. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I don't think I ever made it to the Chinese area of TQ, was that in Immortal Throne? I think we can be certain that it won't look like TQ though, Bruno said that he didn't like the light, happy Greece that their publisher demanded.

As for the pre-alpha - it does look good, but it's very limited; afaik they haven't really fleshed out more than that area, hence the KS.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The Chinese area was in Act 3 of the regular TQ campaign. If memory serves right you went from the Babylonian area through something reminiscent of the Himalayas and Mongolia (the Silk Road?) and ended up on top of the Great Wall. That's where the Chinese area started. The Chang'an, Jade Palace and Wusao Mountain stuff.

It's a shame that Bruno doesn't like the lighter setting of TQ. For me it's what set TQ apart from other games of its ilk, including the Diablo series. For instance, TQ:IT was a bit too dark for me. I actually like the TQ setting so much that I sometimes find myself taking a stroll there just for the ambience... :)

I was out for most of the day, but I can see we're _very_ close to accomplishing the 500k goal. Just about $2500 short with about 5 hours to go. I wonder if we're going all the way to the 520k goal in the remaining time. I somehow doubt it, but would love to be proved wrong.

Last edited: 19 May 2012
  12. Bede

Bede Minimodder

$535k in the end :) I know what you mean about the lighter feel of TQ, I found it quite refreshing too - not even Torchlight managed to get that - but sadly I don't think we'll get another game like it for a while.

13. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Titan Quest still is a very great game, even by today's aRPG standards. What sets the graphics apart is the fact that even though the atmosphere is very bright they didn't aim for that comic look.

What I really like about Titan Quest is the skill system and the way you can reset your skills: You can buy back your skill points, and every skill point costs more than the one before. A few mistakes or even a whole maxed skill or two can be easily rectifified while a complete reskill of a high level char would set you back millions.

Titan Quests also is a hell of a difficult game if you use mods. A few friends and me are currently playing through the game again with the Uber Mod which maximises mob spawn and spawns every boss six times. Oh - and you start on the Nightmare difficulty with level 1. We have yet to beat Hades without dying a hundred times.

Shame Grim Dawn is aiming for that generic grim brown bloody satanic look again. :( Still, better than that WoWesque look everyone seems to aim for today.

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seems we ended up raising 537k. Hadn't really thought it possible, but yeah! :D Torchlight is a great game, but it's more akin to the original Diablo than TQ even with the slightly lighter tone in graphics.

What he says. ;)

I guess in the end there's one upside to this. TQ actually exists, so it can be played again (and again) if fancy takes you. Which I might do very soon, come to think of it... :)

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

You'd still be more than welcome to join in on the Uber Mod fun. :D

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I just might take you up on that. :)

17. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Almost a year since the last post but no need for a new thread ;)

Alpha release should eventually be released today :D

Unfortunately I don't have alpha access just beta but I was wondering if anyone who backed it here did and would be updating with their thoughts?

I tried to go back to Diablo 3 this weekend but when your characters have been reset it kinda dampens the mood a bit :( So I'm hoping this is at least decent so I can look forward to getting my teeth into it.

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Anyone else playing this? I Kickstarted it back in 2013 and it is now on full release - and my god is it good! It totally reminds me of Balders Gate Dark Alliance if any of you have played that. A true ARPG with 6 unique classes, a great aesthetic and satisfying combat - definitely recommend you pick it up in the Steam sale.

19. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Been eyeing this up for the last couple of weeks. Currently playing through Titan Quest with the other half, and when (if) we ever complete it, this will be next on the list.

20. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

yeah played it loads throughout the beta and on release.

im playing other games at the moment but this is definitely worth the full price tag but it is often in sales. Im pretty sure ill return to this at some point and co-op is the best way to play hands down