1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Mad Max

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 8 Jan 2016.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You chaps/chapesses probably know that I like to create threads for games that I think are especially worthwhile. Well, I think Mad Max is a game that hasn't been as kindly received as it could have been.

Truth is I find that the game has several nice touches. Want to know what actually playing Fury Road would be like? Look no further! The views are absolutely astounding - go up in one of the scouting balloons and you'll think to yourself 'wow'. Combat is awesomely brutal and brawleresque in nature - you really get the feeling of a man who is giving it his all to club a man to death with his bare hands.

The downside is that the game is quite grindy - having said that, I'm doing everything available, so it may be you can actually whip through the story quite quickly if you want. It is also quite samey, but if you play an hour a day or so, you can appreciate it without getting sick of it. I've put 36 hours into it so far and am probably ~33-50% done.

I'd like to mention the storms. I have never seen storms as good as in this game. You can see them heading towards you, whipping up sand in their wake and deafening you with their roar if you head into one.

Anyway, I've yet to finish it, but from what I've heard, it gets even better towards the end.

So yes, A heartfelt recommendation from me. To borrow from the movie - 'What a game! What a lovely game!'.

2. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty far into it and I agree, its quite good. Not great perhaps but quite good. Am taking a little break now, but I expect I will pick up again shortly and run through the rest of it. Story is alright and the driving is very good. Combat for me is a bit meh but its not bad, just repetitive. And I agree with the storms, they are very well done. The world is well made and can look very nice at times as you say.

Overall it's a decent and perhaps under-appreciated game and worth a look on sale for sure.

3. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I love the idea of the game but unfortunately with the steam controller, which works so well with other games, it is very frustrating to play! Not to mention it is the only game that puts my gpu beyond 85 degrees which isn't healthy.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I played it through on the PS4. Solid mechanics and really nice artwork, but the grind got a bit too much in the end. I maxed out my Magnum Opis and all that, but clearing all the areas of the map was just too much.

The big plot twist was also a bit horrifc and I'm still not sure I liked it.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I need to give it a shot, looks like a nice game.
    Kinda similar to Red Faction Guerrilla, which I loved...

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Great game apart from the combat which until you have upgraded your attributes can be tiresome. But I hated the race where you had to take out a car. In fact I never did manage it, I sent a guy guy in the Steam forum my save to that point, he did the race and sent it back.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So, I've finished the game with almost 100% completion, which took me 70 hours (I also got all the loot locations, which is totally unnecessary). Quite honestly, it's a mixed game. The overall story is quite brief, as is befitting the Mad Max universe but you do have to grind to upgrade Max and his car. The game is exceptionally pretty and runs well, but overall is a drawn out affair. The ending to the game is very fitting though - don't expect it to cheer you up and don't play it if you're already down!

My overall comment? Only play if you have time to burn, which probably will not be a lot of you! I'd put it near the bottom of the game 'to do' list.

I completely understand - after a number of failed attempts I almost thought of doing the same thing. I looked it up and it's a common complaint. The funny thing is the only way you can complete the race takes about thirty seconds. Straight off the line you have to boost to get through the other cars, whilst immediately plugging the guy with a thunderpoon. After that, you just focus on killing him ASAP. Definitely needed more play testing, that bit.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

In theory I knew that is what I had to do and could get one or two thunerpoons before crashing and then I would never ever catch up to him again. Hated that bit.