1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cool or perhaps sciency things to do and (pretty things to) see in London?

Discussion in 'General' started by oscy, 6 Aug 2016.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

The last few times we've been to a museum and such but I've run out of ideas, don't want to fall back on going to museums (unless they're awesome), and don't just want to go to a place and look at it and go "yup now I have seen a building".

I'm a sciency space type person so that kind of thing would be a bonus. I'll list some things we have or haven't done and why to give you an idea of my frame of mind:

Royal Observatory - Watched something in the planetarium, that was great.

Science Museum - Was of course cool.

Couple of those other museums there - Was fine but I wouldn't go to London just to visit another one. Also felt like I personally would prefer to see real skeletons too not looking at each one wondering which ones are real and which not.

Trocadero - Our childhood dreams were crushed, pulverised, set on fire to see what it became and never experiencing what it was, wow, nasty surprise. This magical place would've reason enough to go to London. Now, broken arcade cabinets up a non-moving escalator, not so much...

Chinatown - Good for the foodstuffs

Camden - Nothing interests me there

Hyde Park - Didn't think walking like old people would be my thing but it was nice, and the squirrels were a nice surprise.

Sky Garden - Would've gone, should be pretty, but it requires booking and it's all filled up. Looked at The Shard but that's £30 per person, get the **** outta here.

Grant Museum of Zoology - That was interesting and worth seeing

Wellcome Museum - There was nothing there, took 5 minutes to have a wander.

Dungeons - Might be our kinda thing but don't know about having actors hamming it up. (Just looked it up on YouTube, nah not feeling it.)

London Eye and Big Ben - Saw them on that bridge wot's next to the Eye. (Wouldn't want to actually go on the Eye though.)

Madame Tussauds - No interest because it is wax made to look like people. People I don't know personally.

Oxford Street - So we can browse in shops but end up not buying as much as imagined

Sea Life - I only went once elsewhere because I told myself the animals were content.

London Zoo - Like Sea Life, but I went to another big zoo as a child (as you do) and some of it was sad, so I want to go there as much as I want to visit a high security mental hospital.

Wembley - Already been, the outside anyway, on the way to a place to eat, that'll do for me.

I hope now our minds are in sync.

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

How long ago did you go to the Science museum? They had a very interesting exhibit on computing last time I went, but you have have already seen it?

I know it's not truly "sciencey" but in Camden there's a great ice cream place called the Chin Chin Laboratorists. They make ice cream fresh for you using liquid nitrogen. Aside from being very tasty, it's a good bit of fun and the owner is very friendly and chats about the whole process with you as it's going on.

Welcome's only worth going to if you look up in advance and check there's something on. I got bitten once going there when the exhibit I wanted was closed for renovation.

Tbh I think I know more of the history-type attractions.

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Huntington Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons - Always incredible, very educational about the history of modern medicine/surgery.
    Spirit of Darwin tour of the Natural history museum - See how the theory of evolution is applied to everyday science and the Natural History museum carries out research with Imperial College.

4. oscy

oscy Modder

I went a couple of years ago, I think there was computing stuff there, though it didn't excite me. Actual space stuff to look at is cool though.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

+1 for the Science Museum. You can see the original test segment of the Babbage Difference Engine (built by himself). You can see the whole Engine no. 2, built in 2002 based on his original design.

And you can touch Stephenson's Rocket, one of the first steam locomotives in history (1829). I mean, touch it. Feel its metal flanks.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The last time I went to London (a few years ago now) they had something called the movieum. It was all about films and had some really great stuff to look at, as well as a full set out of Star Wars you could have your pic taken in (with light sabers). Needless to say I got a pic :D

My fave has always been the dungeon though.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hampstead Heath. Walk from Gospel Oak overground over Parliament Hill and through the Heath to kenwood house. Have coffee. Then walk to Highgate village and go for a beer in the flask. Amazing views of be city and if it's hot you can even take a dip in one of swimming ponds.

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

As I live in Crouch End I do enjoy that walk. That and blasting along parkland walk on my MTB overtaking the wobbly clown bikes (Bromptons)

9. oscy

oscy Modder

London law states that there will always be several things you planned to see that will be closed, broken or down for repairs on the day, and this joins the Sky Garden. Closed on Mondays.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

...followed by a few drinks in The Toucan on Soho Sq. before moving on to Ronnie Scott's for an evening meal and live music.

I miss London. :(

11. oscy

oscy Modder

OMG, everything ends on 7th Sunday. Like the huge gaming event in the Science Museum just ended. That would've been it. ****ing London! It's all lies!

12. oscy

oscy Modder

It's all done. Going straight to the National Maritime Museum with tickets to Above and Beyond (space thing). Then maybe taking a Clippers boat back from Greenwich to Westminster (the other boat takes 70 minutes, the Clippers' is long enough!). Then shops (Chinatown, Japan Centre, Tokyo Toys, Forbidden Planet, CEX, Game, Punkyfish), the nitrogen ice-cream place if we go to Camden. Then the Persian restaurant we always go to. Hooray!

13. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder