1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

proposed water cooling setup

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn, 23 Jun 2013.

1. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

I'm assuming this is what this forum is for.

got my radiator (thanks to RinSewand) (thermochill PA120.3) and thinking of putting some Fractal Design fans on it (40.6 CFM, 1.07 mm H2O at 1200 RPM) as I already have a few, (and it helps that they are cheap) (thinking of having them in pull with 30mm shroud)

found a full cover for my card on the aquatuning site and may chuck the matching backplate in there as well.

quite like this for CPU cooler

and was thinking something like Phobya DC12-220 combined with Alphacool Cape Corp AGB2 reservoir. thinking that the larger ones may be better, but the increase in noise seems a bit high (given that the 220 is already louder than the fans on full and I can hear those)

the setup will be in a drawer, so mobo is horizontal, and rad will be venting out the bottom of the drawer. with the order rad > res > pump > CPU > GPU > rad.

as the mobo never seems to go over 45 C don't see it worth cooling.

thoughts, suggestions.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Those fans are a bit weedy. most people swear by sythe gentle typhoons but they are a bit pricey. coolermaster sickleflow's are supposed to be good as well and about £5 cheaper each, as long as you don't mind led fans.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2013
  3. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Do not get the sickle flows whatever you do. Give me a sec to get the linky. Here!

Last edited: 23 Jun 2013
  4. phoenixck

There are other reviews out there as well, for balance of price/performance corsair's sp 120's are good, typhoons are getting on but still work really well.

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I use Scythe GT 1400 in my sig rig. I dial them down to 1000rpm which I find keeps a good balance between noise and performance.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Use your Fractal Design fans and if you're not happy with the temps then think about changing them.

A useful resource is martinsliquidlab. He's done a fair amount of testing on rad fans.

7. The_Crapman

holy cow that's appauling! :jawdrop:

8. phoenixck

Yep, it must be noted that most fans (designed for static pressure) will perform the same-ish but there's the odd outlier. You could always use delta fans!

Another tip for fan choice is to get one that runs slightly quicker than you imagine you want, then control them using headers or a fan controller (just read some user reviews to make sure that when undervolted they don't whine, as a few do).

9. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

should explain that part of the reason I was considering the fractal designs is that they offer better static pressure and CM than the yate loons used in this review of the radiator. which should give me delta 10 at 400ish watts (originally was a skinnee review I looked at, but that site was unresponsive, and this has the same info)

so other than fans, all good > with the 220 as pump??

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sadly most manufacturer supplied specs, are, for want of a better word, lies.

11. The_Crapman

Seems a little more outright dishonest than merely advertising puff. Wonder if you could get them under trades description act?

12. phoenixck

Got my statute book here....... and I'm pretty sure not. Their rated performance is so far off reality they'd say it was advertising puff. Joking aside it's very difficult if not impossible to take someone to court for that.

13. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Personally I swear by sickleflow. Gentle typhoons are good as well but I got sickleflows a lot cheaper.

14. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

ok, crap video attached. suspect the flow isn't enough (especially as I haven't got the VGA bock yet)

[​IMG]

question is, is that 200 lph pump going to be enough for 2 rads, vga and cpu??

if not recommendations for a cheap & quiet pump.

15. The_Crapman

The flow rate isn't bad. A lot of people run their pumps at lower speeds/flow rates to keep the noise down. Best way to tell if it's enough is strap on the CPU and see what the temps are like.

See above. I was a little shocked to say the least.

16. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

I'm using fractal design fans on my rig and while I'm sure I could get better temps with more expensive fans, I'm more than happy with current temps and especially happy with how quiet my rig is :D.
    It's ominously quiet :eek: Just the way I like it.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2013