1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XFX HD7970 Waterblock

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Scorpuk, 31 Dec 2013.

1. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you use the EK Cooling Configurator it suggests full cover blocks are available for your cards (if they have stock). However XFX are not to be trusted when it comes to card layouts as they're known for changing them while claiming they haven't so double check with EK before buying.

EK appear to have limited stock of this version of the full cover block.

Universal GPU blocks are also an option but you are likely to need additional heatsinks for the VRMs and possible VRAM as well as additional airflow over them.

3. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

there is a full cover available, its this one

[​IMG]

I was thinking about getting one, but haven't decided whether I want to update the card to a 290 (with slightly cheaper blocks for reference cards)

Scorpuk likes this.
  4. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

My 290 is underwater now with a EK Full Cover Waterblock !!!! You will not be dissapointed. Shaved 50c off the temps under load !

5. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

6. Big Elf

That pretty much confirms XFX aren't to be trusted when it comes to card specifications.

7. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Aye. Wish I had known this when I was buying them.

8. Big Elf

Me too, thanks to them I wasted money buying cards that were non-reference despite them claiming they were in a technical support request I'd raised specifically to check. I'll never buy another component from them.

9. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

only have 7950 atmo, 290 is theoretical but loath to now put block on only to change in a month or two (watching prices, if it hits 250 think I will)

well the XFX version is only a £5 premium on reference. however EK make cheaper blocks. that said CS lying to you is a good reason not to buy from them again.

BUT, would ask, which card is it. have to look at ID numbers to determine if it is reference, should read something like FX-795A-TDJC for non reference (think they were BC and FC for reference ones)

10. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

From experience with a couple of Etailers when I was going to buy a 7970 they dont know the correct reference numbers on their products even when asked.

Example being Aria. Asked at the information desk if they were stocking the Reference revision of the XFX card as the picture on the website showed x2 DVI sockets but the manufacturers number they listed was for the reference model (EK Compatible).

Chap behind the desk was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and basically said he did not know... could not find out.... and I would void my warranty if watercooling... so why would I want to do it.

An enquiry to Scan over the telephone was met with a similar response.

Also with Scan on the 290s they were giving a manufacturers number on an MSI card which when googled came back to an XFX model.

In short if there is a chance you may be getting an incompatible card mither the feck out of em before buying.

11. Big Elf

The cards I was having problems with were HD5770s a few years ago. XFX have been untrustworthy on specifications for some time, not just recently and not just me, there's comments in other forums about this.

TBH anyone thinking of watercooling should never even consider XFX cards.