1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Setting up VNC

Discussion in 'Software' started by timmehtimmeh, 19 Apr 2014.

1. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Hi I am a complete Linux noob, just following this tutorial:

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-the-server.html

When it works fine, I can follow it but when it fails - I dont know what to do. I finally got "TightVNC" working under Windows 8 but am having some issue in that all I can see on my virtual desktop of the Linux box is a grey box with nothing in it.

I did follow the guide as best I could but cant seem to see where I have gone wrong.

I am trying to setup a home server for file serving and some other bits.

Stuck :(

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

if your going from a windows box look up xrdp

remote desktop for linux, i use it everywhere and prefer it

3. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

ok ill have a read up on that then. All the guides I find assume you have a GUI on the server already in which to interact- it only has a CLI though. I have no idea how to enable the start x thing. I would actually like to learn the commands as I go though.

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

If your running CLI only setup SSH onto the server. VNC and XRDP only work if x-server running.

5. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

hi again, Its Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS. I have installed gnome and SSH and can now SSH in to it. I couldn't for the life of me fix what was wrong with VNC.

I will try with XRDP, do you know of a good tutorial to follow to get it working?

Iain

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Are you trying to VNC against a Gnome or Unity desktop ? If yes, then bad luck, Gnome doesn't really work through VNC for some time. Try XFCE.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If you're running a server, you don't need Gnome. You can install all the apps you need through apt-get. If you're file serving, you'll want Samba - instructions here.

What else did you want to do with your server?

8. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

I was following this guys guide:

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-the-server/Install-VNC.html

I was hoping for plex transcoding, file serving, python, php, webserving, FTP, perhaps even DVB-S2 recording

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

As i said, Gnome3 and Unity won't work, because VNC has no compositing support. XFCE does work through VNC or XRDP.

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

You don't need a GUI for any of those applications - all you'd be doing in the GUI is opening a CLI, so you might as well skip that step, install OpenSSH and use PuTTY to access the server. For servers, you should get used to the CLI, and if the idea of vi gives you collywobbles, use nano instead :eeek:

Most of what you want to do is fairly straightforward. Plex Media Server is probably the only one that doesn't have a Ubuntu guide, although there should be plenty of help on the Plex forums - and there's a guide here (although you'll need to update the download filenames to the latest versions) and the official version here.

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I agree with this - I do all my linux server admin using just ssh and putty. No GUI is needed, and to be honest, I think I would be lost with a GUI I been doing terminal admin so long!

I LOVE VI! I don't know why, I didn't know about nano when I started learning linux server stuff, so just learnt vi, and then learnt that most people massively don't get on with Vi, but if you learn it it's very quick and powerful text editor.

12. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

OK I'm back installing 14.04 LTS Ubuntu server and will persevere with putty and webmin for now. I don't even know what vi and nano are yet... :)

I am now stuck using "Parted" trying to figure out how to setup raid6 with the current 4 hard drives connected but will try to expand to 6 drives at a later date. I am reading through this guide:

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_chapter/parted_2.html

and having much fun doing so!

My first 2 Parted commands are as follows:

print
    Model: ATA C300-CTFDDAC064M (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 64.0GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 256MB 255MB primary ext2 boot
    2 257MB 64.0GB 63.8GB extended
    5 257MB 64.0GB 63.8GB logical lvm