1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 2016 Users?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mister_Tad, 5 Nov 2016.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Has anyone upgraded anything productive yet? Any comments?

Is doing an in-place upgrade the lazy way to pain in the future?

I've been sorting out a storage upgrade for a couple of week (or failed drives and adaptors therein) and it's been sitting here on a stick that's been staring at me. All sorted now, and wondering whether I pull the trigger or wait a few more months.

2. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Presuming you mean Windows Server 2016? If so, I have an academic licence and I have been playing around with it in my home lab setting up multiple VMs. Frankly, it's hard to spot the difference between this and 2012R2. Also, 98% of all tutorials/questions online refer to 2012R2.

I would say, stay with 2012R2 unless there is a feature you specifically need in 2016, or if you were planning on a from scratch install anyway.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

There's a few nice to haves like containers and hot-changes to VMs (and ReFS updates? or did I imagine that?), but no killer feature that I absolutely need. The main appeal was just the latest and greatest core OS - not that I've had any gripes with 2012R2.

I'm assuming that any glaring issues would have raised their head by now and I would have heard about them.

My main server is due a fresh install at some point in the near-ish future on account of a 2012R2 update that keeps breaking it (on account of some tweakery needed to boot from SATA5 on the microserver), so I'll likely just switch to 2016 at that point.

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Running 2k16 on my main fileserver (and will be uplifting other servers to 16 at the weekend) - no major issues so far.

Lots of nice features (all the security ones in Win10 etc) get pulled into Server 16 too so worth the upgrade from 2k12r2