1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Spec me a lawnmower

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 17 May 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As a neighbour, who gladly took care of the communal bit of grass at the back of my small block of flats, now finds cutting the grass difficult due to ill health I find myself in need of a lawnmower. This morning I borrowed another neighbours Flymo Mico lite and it was pathetic to say the least, I could have done better with my beard trimmer.
    So I seek a small lawnmower preferably electric advice as me cutting the grass this morning was my first time in around 20 years so my experience of grass cutting appliances is minimal.

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Really looking for personal recommendations, but thanks all the same.

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

How big is the lawn you're looking to cut? The dimensions of the lawn dictate the 'seriousness' of the mower required!

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I thought 'bit of grass' and 'small lawnmower' would have been a clue as to the size of this lawn which is being very generous in its description. Tiny bit of lawn with a couple of thin strips on the side of a path.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Go as small as you can go if you only have a small bit of grass - the difference in mowing time between a tiny mower and a big mower is slim to none, the difference between storing it and dragging it out of where its kept and manoeuvring it around your lawn can be massive (in favour of the small one, of course)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Elec...id=1495096684&sr=8-3&keywords=bosch+lawnmower

I had a big, chunky, self-driving petrol one for a time when I had far more grass. When I moved somewhere that had far less, it became a real PITA to use. Fortunately shortly thereafter it was stolen, and I replaced it with this fisher-price toy of a lawnmower that regularly drops down to £60 or so. It's been going strong for years and mowing a small lawn with it is an absolute breeze.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks, it did occur last night that storing the thing will be an issue so folding to a reasonable size is essential. Unfortunately there is no space available for a small shed due to the inconsiderate behaviour of an obnoxious neighbour, so space will nee to be found/made in my small flat.
    I have been looking at this as it seems to have reasonable reviews.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flymo-Glid...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K44SHJ08F3WM4904D9V0

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

In my by no means exhaustive mower experience, hover mowers are trash.

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Do you mean 'strimmer?' as I have one of those and I have not found it particularly good at cutting grass that is short, long stuff is a different matter.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

14. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Lawnmower are fine if you have one big patch of flat and even ground, otherwise they become a nuisance. Personally been using Bosch ART26 Li to take care of ~250m^2 of very uneven lawn and had no problems (apart from battery rebuild after ~4years of use).
    If you don't let the grass grow too much between trimmings, you dont really need to collect it (so called "grasscycling).

15. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Hi,
    I have one of these, small, folds and not horrendously noisy.
    http://www.flymo.com/uk/products/rotary-mowers/easimo/964322501/
    Way too small for my garden but does the job. Not great on longer wet grass, but few electric ones are. Once this dies I'll upgrade to a petrol one - vrooooom!!!
    I would say, if you have rough ground or tree roots, get a few spare blades. The first time I cut the grass, the previous owners had left all sorts in there and the grass was near a foot high. Blade smacked the remains of a tree stump and bent the blade to nearly 90 deg. A quick hammer and it was straight enough to finish the job albeit with numb hands. A spare blade would have been much more comfortable.
    Another tip, the blades on almost all of these cheap mowers are dull as heck. Get the blade of (safely please...) and file or belt sand the cutting edge. Makes for such an easier cut. I have been in the habit of sharpening the blade every 3/4 cuts.
    All the best.
    S.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Lol, that brings back memories.

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

As someone who used to work for a gardner and pretty much mowed all shapes, sizes and gradients of lawn everyday, for the really small patches of grass I would have taken a hover mower you can swing about over the petrol rotary ones we used, it would have been so much less hassle.

19. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Or just go really oldschool:
    [​IMG]
    Bonus points if you dress in black cloak :D.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Considering your patch is really small, you might consider getting a batterypowered one and save yourself the hassle with the powerchord.
    Other than that: for a small patch, any cheapy will do :D