1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project PC-70 (Mocha70) update 12/6/2010

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Burnout21, 21 Dec 2009.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

ho-ho-ho tis the season for the modding tra-la-la-la-lar-la-la-lar. LOL!

Ok last Thursday i picking up the new home for my machine in spec'd in the sig. Ever since moving my GTX280 onto watercooling my ears love me, however the 120.1 rad down front, is on its limits of keeping the system cool, luckily the weather is keeping the ambient temps low.

So I present to you the future project and home.

[​IMG]

yes the mighty PC-70, might be old but she has the space!

Colouring it in, felt tips at the ready! lol!

Yes its brown, but really subtle and elegant for my office.

hopefully something like this

[​IMG]

Plan so far is to slap a 120.3 up top, and remove the front dual 80mm fan mounts for a single 120mm fan+rad or a single 140mm fan possibly. I did have a look at mounting a 120.2 up front but its 10mm to tight for the fitment with out modding the optical drive cage which i would rather not do.

rules keep her stock as possible, but refine her to my taste.

I welcome feedback and idea's, in the mean time i best get the case modelled up in solidworks.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2010
    identikit likes this.
  2. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Sounds like you have a decent plan made up, with all those external bays it should be easy enough to make room for the 120.2 up front. Or replace the bay covers and put in 2 120.1's in series one below the cage and one built into the bottom of the cage. Either way I watch with interest.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Oh forgot to mention, i shall try and machine some mosfet blocks as they cost £23 from Ek for just 1 block and i need 2, plus a northbridge block.

So call me cheap, im gonna make them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

going to work on a northbridge in a minute.

4. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Imo, unless doing some really insane OCing, there is no need for RAM, NB/SB, MOSFET blocks. Unless of course, you are just going for looks ;)

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I never mentioned Ram cooling.

The mosfet cooling at the moment is pretty piss poor, and the northbridge when running a FSB at 333mhz runs at 65 degree's. This could be due to DFI using there trade mark piss poor bubble gum TIM under the NB, which i will check in the new year.

My board

[​IMG]

Trust me, i know what i am doing.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I have the same board and yes, the northbridge gets rather toasty.

I don't mind, I'm sticking with the cheapest solution till I can afford those nice Enzotech forged copper heatsinks :D

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I would do the same, but in order to reduce the system noise, i have kept airflow to a minimum and only have it where its needed.

So moving the mosfets and NB on to water is really the only happy option for me. Although i bet the temps are high due to the bubble gum TIM! lol!

8. Shadow703793

Ahhh... didn't know you were cooling a Lanparty. DFI makes some good boards in terms of BIOS options (pretty good under LN2/DIce :D ), but yeah, I know what you mean.

Anyways, good luck with it. Just remember: surface area at the base is key on a waterblock.

PS: You can see my first DIY CPU block here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615621
    Currently working on rev 2 waterblock :D

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I've been building blocks since 2006

My first

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would post up other pictures but there on my server at my student home atm.

Say, i am an old hand at all this chap!

Also like to note that as long as the waterblock can cover what needs to be covered, then its only the internal surface area required. If the flow rate is low, then a large cavity inside the block is necessary to transfer the heat energy. Higher flow rates allow the reduction of internal volume, as the water molecules don't need very long to absorb the heat energy in the reduced volume of the block.

I shall gladly back this up with my degree in design which includes hydraulic design.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2009
  10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

This is going to look rather good I think bud! Glad the case is to your liking mate, the reset button is on its way however I wouldgive it a week or more due to xmas post.

Stripping mine back to the basics soon for a powdercoat on the inside and if all is well a nice spot of annodising on the outside.

I shall watch this with great interest.

Andy

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Awesome news, PM me where your going to get yours powder coated at, I am still looking around, and we might be able to reduce the cost a little. I was thinking to get my internals done in satin black, so if yours would be the same then a small reduction on cost....

12. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Aye it would be the same. I will be getting it all sent to a chap called Tom at chilledpc. He does a great job I must say! Some very nice colours a mods over there if you have a look. Its also worth giving him a call for quotes etc as you can sometimes get a slight reduction in costs if you have a word with him over the phone.

Andy

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

On his site, the prices seem a little high. Might just contact him as i just want the powder coat, no assembly or anything which i could see adding to the cost.

Of course the price listed must be an average cost to have it stripped, coated and rebuilt which involves a lot of labour hence the price.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2009
  14. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Precisely. If you drill the rivets and pack it to him in bits then its going to be cheaper. On another note, he can powder coat the pc70 as a single unit which brings the cost down. Failing all of the theres a place in long eaton near you that powdercoats as i took some split rims there. It may be worth looking them up and giving them a quick call.

Andy

Burnout21 likes this.
  15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

awesome!

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like that reservoir.:D What color of delrin did you get?
    A metal base+brown=bronze. It should look fantastic.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Thank god you've seen what the colour would be! lol! every time i've explain this people have said 'brown? what s**t coloured' lol! But i want a chocolatey look to it as well

Black delrin all the way chap, the only striking thing i want is the exterior of the case.

Quick googling around i came across this dub thread, look at the colour of it!

[​IMG]

I cant explain the colour at all

18. Shadow703793

Yup. That agrees whith what I have observed via CFD sims.

Btw, just curious, do you run any CFD sims on your blocks before building?

PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread ;)

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

There is no such thing as thread hi-jacking with such questions my friend. Before setting out and designing the block I have to specify my pump and bore of tubing.

From this I know my pressure and flow rate, which allows for the end design of my block. What I haven't done yet is to specify a pump for this project, but the design of the mosfet block can be tweaked to increase its height or decrease to suit the ideal volume desired.

Now this is where your question comes in, 'Do I run fluid dynamics?'

Answer is yes, because I block to create internal turbulence without slowing the flow to much. By tweaking the central feature I can slow or speed up the flow. I use 'Flow Simulation' with in solidworks as it gives me a rough idea as to what is going on. Remember it only has to be a rough idea as the tolerance of the complete loop isn't that precise, if you think every radiator and pump isn't spec sheet perfect not at the price's we pay at at least. At the very least i expect a 10% error margin.

Nothing is perfect, but dam I am going to try!

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ordered a nice XSPC RS360 today, with grill and fans, hehe shall start modding upon arrival.

powdercoat is going to cost a bomb, so external colour will be automotive paint, something like this

[​IMG]