1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Back from the cruise - Cyprus. Greece, lots of pics

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by ssR, 22 Oct 2008.

1. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Hey guys, i'm back from a short cruise i took in the Mediterranean sea, passing at Limassol - Cyprus and Kos - Greece. Here are some of the chosen pics (i know it's a lot and i don't expect to get feedback on all of them, just sharing :) ). Not all of them are good, just the ones i liked the most :). Comments are welcomed, C&C, if you got any on specific shots :). I know that some of them are noisy (to the point of beyond my editing skills), some are a bit crooked (i'd rather leave it as it is as the rotation and recropping would ruin the pic) and some are just over or under exposed. all of them were shot in raw and done the best i could to enhance them. but i'm open for suggestions :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vers

Vers ...

Technically speaking your best image is #10. I won't go into details but the rest don't really do anything for me. BTW, 2+3 are not showing up.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Explain to the chap why the the others aren't as techincally sound. Then he can improve for next time :)

4. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Highland3r: i know what Vers meant :). In fact i was surprised he pointed it out so precisely, but basically the thing is #10 was the only picture i converted from the RAW file without touching it at all. no cropping not even any minor adjustment. it came out just the way i wanted :) i guess you really can see the adjustments i made in the other shots which make them less challenging and attractive as i had to play with the pictures to get the effect i was looking for instead of setting it from the beginning through camera options.

while being at it my personal favorites out of this cruise are 10, 16, 17, 18, mostly because of the fact that in those shots i had more control (as in i chose when and how to shoot those. we basically had like 4 hours on each shore, so i was running around trying to catch as much as possible, shooting everything in Av mode, hoping to fix the rest in DPP :)

5. Major

Major Guest

18, 16, 12 and 10 are my favs.

Great shots.

6. flibble666

flibble666 sorry i am dyslexic

love 16 theres a few noise issues in the first images ps shuld be able to get rid of them unless you have allredy but all round some verry nice pics keep shooting and you will get better and better but over all some relly good work

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

First, ssR, post processing is not a bad thing. Yes, it's always best to "get it right in camera" and then you don't have to do as much. But even the great Ansel Adams said that (paraphrased) dodging and burning in the darkroom helped fix God's contrast errors. I honestly look at taking the image as half the battle - process and display of that image is a whole other half to "the shot."

10 is a frame-worthy shot, one you should be proud of. It's a bit "stock image" but that's not a bad description - in fact, it is a good one. It has a clean, breezy air about it that conveys "relax with us!" It could easily be part of a brochure shot for a cruise line.

Both 19 and 20 with some good post-process technique could be beautiful shots. 20 has some amazing dynamic range, and 19 has a lot of neat action with the emptying of the ballasts.

The rest of these, I'm going to both agree and disagree a bit with Vers. Individually, they DON'T do much. But combined, they tell a bit of a story. I feel like there's more you could have included - I want to see people on the ship, sitting in those barstools or walking on the deck holding hands. Something that conveys life with them. Even if they aren't 100% technically perfect shots, they have a lot of room to grow. If these were printed, I imagine a montage or small coffee table book or something that allows edge-to-edge printing and definitive grouping. Through proper arrangement and soaking them in together, I feel a story of your trip and I think THAT is a success.

So, overall, it's not going to be the definitive coffee table book on Grecian cruises - you're missing a lot of moments and have too much of certain ones. But the whole flow does have its moments, and one of those is looking at all of them at once and feeling the story of your trip. And out of THOSE, none of them are really technically UNsound except for maybe 12 and 18, and there are a couple real gems that are stand-alone images with a bit more polish and cleaning up of "God's contrast errors."

Don't ever let "the shot" be your only reason for shooting, or you'll HATE photography after a while. There's always a way you can look back and say "It could have been better if I did this or had that or caught this..." A picture, or series of pictures, should tell a story. Whether it be a wedding or a trip or a culture or anything, the event you capture when you press the shutter does not exist in a vacuum. When your pictures can give a sense of more than just that moment, there's something to consider successful in that. :)

Oh, and if you need Post-Process help on 19/20, I'll be happy to assist with my own views on what they could use :)

8. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

#18 could be spectactular, but it's far too dark in my opinion.

Lighten it up, bring out some of that colour!

9. ssR

ssR Carbon God

you know Brett... if there's anyone on these forums who actually gives a CONSTRUCTIVE criticism it's you... i mean... after reading your reply i wish i could go back and shoot more. i suddenly feel like i missed so many opportunities... makes me want to go out on another cruise just to fill in the empty spots. you're so right, i was walking around looking for THE SHOT, instead of just enjoying the trip. when i came back home i had about 6gb of free space on my memory cards, something that looking back i could've easily filled. still i have a bunch of snapshots that are only good for me and my friends to remind us of that trip, but nothing really worthy of posting. still i will post a few more shots, hoping that it will fill some of the holes this compilation left. Not too much of street photography it still feels a bit awkward to me shooting people on the street :sigh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

The first posted #10 is effing good from so many perspectives. Very nice shot! Admirable IMO.

Tags: